Openning .ps.gz

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nicost

Openning .ps.gz

Post by *nicost »

Hi!

I find it perfect that when openning a .gz file the uncompressed version appears,but in the case of a .ps.gz file I'd like to call Ghostview to open the postscript file directly. I tried associating the double extension to the application and it works from Windows directly but not from Total Commander. Does anyone know how to do it (without deactivating the option that opens compressed files as folders)?

Thanks!
Nicolas.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

>nicost
>I tried associating the double extension to the application and it works from Windows directly but not from Total Commander. Does anyone know how to do it (without deactivating the option that opens compressed files as folders)?

I don’t know if this will work or have the desirable result for you but you can associate the extension configuring at the same time Ghostview as an external viewer for this type of extension. Apparently the association you’ve tried is a file association. I don’t know if the viewing association I’ve suggested will be treated differently by TC and have a positive outcome for you.

So, go to Configuration -> Edit/View tab -> Associations button -> All files with extension (ending with) -> type in the extension -> click the New type… button and browse for the location of Ghostview (the .exe file of course). Now try viewing the file instead of actually pressing Enter to invoke Ghostview since this association was not successful based on the fact that TC sees the file as an archive.

I don’t know if you should use a shortcut other than F3 but you have nothing to loose. Try both Alt+F3 and Shift+F3 just to be on the safe side! Normally F3 should do the trick if you have “Internal Viewer with selected files” selected in the configurations. You can configure Ghostview as an external viewer and use Alt+F3 if you haven’t specified one yet although the “Internal Viewer with selected files” is a more sophisticated approach! ;)

If this works you’ll be able to enter the archive and at the same time call Ghostview upon request by actually viewing a .ps.gz file.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
nicost

.ps.gz works

Post by *nicost »

Hi!

I've partialy tried what you said already. I couldn't make it work with the ps.gz windows association or with the "associate with" in the file menu. But after your sugestion, I also tried in associate for external viewers in the configuration dialog and it now works with alt-f3.

Thanks!
Nicolas
pdavit wrote:>nicost
>I tried associating the double extension to the application and it works from Windows directly but not from Total Commander. Does anyone know how to do it (without deactivating the option that opens compressed files as folders)?

I don’t know if this will work or have the desirable result for you but you can associate the extension configuring at the same time Ghostview as an external viewer for this type of extension. Apparently the association you’ve tried is a file association. I don’t know if the viewing association I’ve suggested will be treated differently by TC and have a positive outcome for you.

So, go to Configuration -> Edit/View tab -> Associations button -> All files with extension (ending with) -> type in the extension -> click the New type… button and browse for the location of Ghostview (the .exe file of course). Now try viewing the file instead of actually pressing Enter to invoke Ghostview since this association was not successful based on the fact that TC sees the file as an archive.

I don’t know if you should use a shortcut other than F3 but you have nothing to loose. Try both Alt+F3 and Shift+F3 just to be on the safe side! Normally F3 should do the trick if you have “Internal Viewer with selected files” selected in the configurations. You can configure Ghostview as an external viewer and use Alt+F3 if you haven’t specified one yet although the “Internal Viewer with selected files” is a more sophisticated approach! ;)

If this works you’ll be able to enter the archive and at the same time call Ghostview upon request by actually viewing a .ps.gz file.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2nicost
You can also try just to press Shift+Enter on ps.gz file. This should launch associated program (Ghostview in your case) instead of going inside the archive. At least that's how things are on my PC: for ZIP files, for RAR files and so on: Enter goes inside archive, Shift+Enter launches program associated in the system for the corresponding extension.
Odegard

Post by *Odegard »

I just enter the archive with enter and hit enter again on the wanted file and choose "unpack and execute". Maybe I will get loads of files in my temo directory this way but I delete it regularly.