Feature request: per-dir sort option and external differ

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rytrom

Feature request: per-dir sort option and external differ

Post by *rytrom »

I'm not an expert in TC but I didn't find a way to specify sort order per folder. It'd be very useful to sort by date in "downloads" directory (were all downloads come to) and at the same time to sort by name in a folder storing log files (which vary in extentions). Though usualy I sort files by extention.

Another option I searched and didn't find is to specify an external diff program but use TC functionality on choosing files to compare (I mean to take a file with the same name from the opposite panel to compare as selected one)
chasbas

Post by *chasbas »

Remembering sort order by directory is a relatively frequent request (you can search this forum for it), but as far as I know has not yet been implemented. That may change in 6.0 with the new Tabs features.

There are a couple of of ways to run an external program using the currently selected file name and the target directory. Something tells me you're not looking hard enough at the help file. Check out the button bar, the % placeholders (like %N for filename and %T for target path), customizing the Start menu, associating keys with start menu items, and you can also (again) search this forum for samples and suggestions that do exactly what you are looking for.
rytrom

Post by *rytrom »

Wow! That's cool. I didn't know about it. I'm impressed:-)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sort order is indeed remembered by Tab in 6.0, but not by directory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sort order is indeed remembered by Tab in 6.0, but not by directory.
And what about the feature to use an external diff program instead of the built-in one?

My idea of it is that is would be configurable together with the external editor and the external viewer; two placeholders (%1 and %2) could be put in the command line that will be substituted by the appropriate filenames+paths when the program is called (this because different diff programs might have different ideas on how to set the filenames)
rytrom

Post by *rytrom »

Well, as chasbas advised I did the following. I love VI so to compare a file my cursor is on with a file on an opposite pannale with _the_same_name_ I use a command: vim.exe
and a parameter line: -d %N %T%N
Last edited by rytrom on 2003-09-11, 21:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

oblomov wrote:two placeholders (%1 and %2) could be put in the command line that will be substituted by the appropriate filenames+paths
That is already possible with the current version. Take a look at the helpfile under "buttonbar" or "startmenu". You could even attach a keyboard-shortcut from your choice.
oblomov

Post by *oblomov »

Jonas wrote:
oblomov wrote:two placeholders (%1 and %2) could be put in the command line that will be substituted by the appropriate filenames+paths
That is already possible with the current version. Take a look at the helpfile under "buttonbar" or "startmenu". You could even attach a keyboard-shortcut from your choice.
Yes, I know, but I found no way to configure the buttonbar so that it works in exactly the same way as the internal diff function, that is by:

1. choosing the file with the same name as the one under the cursor, in the opposite pane, if nothing is selected
2. choosing the first two selected files if files in only one pane are selected
3. choosing the first selected file in each pane if files in both panes are selected.

And of course there's no way to set up an external diff for the synchronize folders tools, currently.