Strange behaviour when deleting a null file after a CTRL+B

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pgriffet

Strange behaviour when deleting a null file after a CTRL+B

Post by *pgriffet »

Hi all. I've discovered a little bug (or flaw ?) with TC 5.51 (under Win98), it affects the CTRL+B view.

I've noticed the problem in my TIF (temporary internet files) because I'm often looking at the pages while offline. So I go the TIF\Content.IE5 folder, I press CTRL+B and I have all my Internet Cache in one pane.

The problem is when you delete a zero byte file (as the stray files created by the bloated OE when you view a message). If you use OE, you will see in the TIF a lot of files named [1] (without extension), [2], [3] and so on. You can delete these files as they are unnecessary and it's a bug which is well known by MS since IE5 (but still present with IE6). When you delete one or more files (zero byte length), TC does a refresh of the view but I only see the index.dat and the desktop.ini instead of the thousand files. I have to push F2 to see my Content.IE5 folder again. If you delete a file which is not zero byte, TC does a correct refresh of the CTRL+B.

You can reproduce this flaw in another directory. Just create a sub-dir and under this sub-dir, create a zero byte file. Then go back to the upper directory, CTRL+B, delete the null file and you will see the same problem.

Actually, it's not really a bug, maybe just a pointer. As there was a mention of a problem with a zero byte file under XP when you press CTRL left or right arrow, I thought it would be interesting to share the experience.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this seems to be a Win9x-specific bug. It will be fixed in TC 6.0.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com