BUG:no property popup menu on file(s) isn't sometimes avail.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

devilman

BUG:no property popup menu on file(s) isn't sometimes avail.

Post by *devilman »

Hello all,
I'm running TC 5.51_chech localization on K6-2 350, Win95B_czech (4.00.950B)+IE5 (5.00.2919.6307)...

I've found strange behaviour when I try to show file/directory properties. After TC restart I usually get file popup menu, but after some time something internally crashes and I don't get the popup menu (on long right click-speaker clicks {very short, low frequency beep}) or I get terrible messagebox (VCL Exception handler) if I use Alt-Enter shortcut:

Access Violation at adress 7FDF57CD. Read of address 7FDF57CD.
Please report this to Author,.......
Continue execution?

I'm pretty sure that this phenomena comes with 5.51 only, I haven't seen it on 5.5-.(same configuration, K6-2 350, W95B)

I've tried to reproduce this issue on W2000_english_version and there is no problem...

This problem is surely dependent on Windows version.

Do you have any idea what is the problem?
Do you see the same also on W98/W98SE/WME?

devilman
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

AFAIK this is usually caused by a bad Shell extension - have you installed something that "enhances" the right-click menu functionality (like a packer program accessible from the right-click menu)? If yes, try disabling it.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, these shell extensions are a real nightmare. Recently the RAR author and I spent a few weeks to find a crash caused by a RAR extension DLL - only to find out that it's a bug in Borland C++ causing this...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
devilman

Post by *devilman »

Thank you Christian and Hacker for valid remark,
You are right ShellExtensions cause these problems....
I removed nearly all ShellExtensions and renamed unrar.dll and TC is working fine.....

It's very difficult to write perfect program for all versions of MS Windows...
nightmare is the right word for this case/issue.

Well, thank you ...

ghisler(Author) wrote:Yes, these shell extensions are a real nightmare. Recently the RAR author and I spent a few weeks to find a crash caused by a RAR extension DLL - only to find out that it's a bug in Borland C++ causing this...