Unpack option not working within archive!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Unpack option not working within archive!

Post by *pdavit »

Hi guys!

Does anyone know if the “Unpack each archive to a separate subdir (name of the archive)” feature works while unpacking within an archive? I have a zip file that contains many zip files inside and I want to select a portion of these archives and unpack them to separate dirs named after the individual archive names. This doesn’t work I think within an archive but only if the files have been first unpacked! Is that true or am I missing something here? If it’s a known issue can it be added in the wish list pleaseeee?!

Thank you!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

It's true and it's because it actually doesn't often make sense in an archive (unless it contains only other archives, as in your case), but that's rather rare I think.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Rarity and user’s-individual-working-behaviour are sometime terms easily confused! ;)

Then again to your defence you can easily point that Christian just cannot make every single one of us happy! :D

…and you’ll be right. The feature is already there though! It’s just not “linked” within archives. ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This doesn't work because it would mean unpacking twice in one go. These "compound operations" are quite complex, and TC supports only a few of them. Example: Select the files in an archive and choose files - pack. This way you can repack them using a different format (or also the same format).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This doesn't work because it would mean unpacking twice in one go.
What prevents us from unpacking twice then (you are talking about “background” unpacking Christian aren’t you?)

Maybe speed or space? Temporary files can be deleted automatically after the completion of the operation.

ghisler(Author) wrote:These "compound operations" are quite complex, and TC supports only a few of them.
Well, if the complexity of compound operations is the problem I can surely live without the feature. Just ignore me Christian if this is too hard or if my logic lacks technical experience! ;)

What we are (am) good at is only to ask! :D :oops: