Synchronize Directories: "Not enough space" > empty the recycle bin automatically?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

babrams

Synchronize Directories: "Not enough space" > empty the recycle bin automatically?

Post by *babrams »

I synced a nearly full 400GB drive with an external 400GB drive. I have since made changed to the first 400GB drive and move plenty of files to different directories. I want to sync the drives again. The problem is, because I moved a lot of files around, it will delete them from the external 400GB drive and copy them to the new directories, copying the changes I made on the drive I am syncing from. However, when it deletes the files, it puts them in the recycle bin, then gives me "Not enough space" message on the drive I am syncing to, until I empty the recycle bin.

Can I have Synchronize empty the recycle bin automatically so after it deletes files on the drive I am syncing to, I can still have enough space to duplicate the drive I am syncing from.

Thanks a Bunch. . . .
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hm, one way would be to temporarily disable the reycle bin:
right click on the bin's desktop icon, choose 'properties' and mark the 'delete files directly' checkbox. After synchroizing you can enable the bin again.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Another way: let TC's sync display only those files to be deleted (single files on the right),
then mark and delete them directly:
  • -> Ctrl+A
    -> context menu (RMB/menu key/Shift+F10)
    -> "delete right" (or "delete both")
    -> Shift+"Yes"-button (hold SHIFT while pressing "Yes").
babrams wrote:Can I have Synchronize empty the recycle bin automatically
Hm, maybe worth a feature suggestion, like
"(ask to) auto-delete recycle bin when drive space is too low".
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
babrams

Sync Directories

Post by *babrams »

I will try that, HOWEVER, will that still work if I am not really deleting any files? EXAMPLE: On my original drive, I am moving the files to different directories I created. Then, I want to sync those changes.

TC doesn't just move the files on the drive I am syncing to. TC deletes the files, then copies them to the new directories on the sync drive. But when TC deletes the files, they hold space in the recycle bin.

Thanks for all the responses.
babrams

Post by *babrams »

Great idea. Where would I send the suggestion?
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

babrams wrote:Great idea. Where would I send the suggestion?
Well, we have TC7 suggestions (English)
babrams wrote:TC doesn't just move the files on the drive I am syncing to. TC deletes the files, then copies them
That's true. Indeed moving would be smarter, but that would need a lot of "intelligence" in the code, analyzing and associating the single files on both sides - across the whole directory structure.
And, prior to moving, the files would have to be compared by content to be shure they're identical - resulting in about the same amount of traffic and time, isn't it?

Also, I think a computer program couldn't do this automatically in every situation without making mistakes
(e.g.: how many files named "readme.txt" do you have?).

Everyone is free to prove that I'm wrong here. ;)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

However, when it deletes the files, it puts them in the recycle bin ...
I suppose you are using the asynchronous mode.
Just at the dialog asking to delete the files, press SHIFT key while clicking on the OK button.
This will delete directly without using the recycle bin !
#5767 Personal license
babrams

Post by *babrams »

What do you mean asynchronous mode? Is that in Total Commander or a choice in the Synchronize dialog box? In the Sync Dir dialog box, I have Asymmetric and Subdirs checked.
To synchronize, I choose "Compare", then "Synchronize", then I get the dialog box to delete files. At that point holding shift while choosing ok still sends to recycle bin for me.
babrams

Post by *babrams »

I got it. I have to hold shift when "Synchronize" dialog box appears, not the dialog box to confirm "delete files".

Thanks
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2sqa_wizard
Hm, is this documented somewhere? I couldn't find any info in help/history about that.
Although I often use SHIFT+DEL to delete files directly, I wasn't aware that this works in synchronize dirs too.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

babrams wrote:I got it. I have to hold shift when "Synchronize" dialog box appears, not the dialog box to confirm "delete files".
I created a suggestion to add this in the confirmation dialog for consistency: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=145048#145048
d

Post by *d »

suggestion:
in such cases it is very hard to view all 400gb files in one list. so should be ability to open/close (+/-) dirs and they when closed should be visible whether this folders "=" or not.

another suggestion:
in synchronise directories should be "synchronise file or folder names left to right" and same "right to left" context menu items for two files one on the left and one on the right. and also they should be able to compare them. i have wrote these somewhere in this forum..
this - syncing folder names is very useful because some folder names of saved webpages as ".html with .files" with russian or unicode characters or very long i do not know exactly which are showed(marked) as not equal by tc and both are marked to copy to opposite side.
d

Post by *d »

"i have wrote these somewhere in this forum.."
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=16786
">sync>cantcompare"oldname.txt"and"newna"
d

Post by *d »

"And, prior to moving, the files would have to be compared by content to be shure they're identical - resulting in about the same amount of traffic and time, isn't it?"

in the case of a lot of different files/folders comparing is cheaper than copying all (because then tc would mark them "different" and go to the next item), and even if they are not different (only another name/place) it is a little cheaper because drive does only reading not writing but processor compares.
milink

Re: Synchronize Directories

Post by *milink »

Hello,

I am aware that this is an old topic, but I did not find a better one...

I just would need exactly this function and my opinion is that comparing by content is not required.
When files in the same folder are compared then also name, size and date/time are compared
unless explicitly selected. The same rule could be applied here.

Maybe there could be a checkbox to "Detect moved files" for it...

What do you think?