[feature suggestion] One panel only

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Kret

[feature suggestion] One panel only

Post by *Kret »

I have one wish to TC. What do you thing about command cm_TogleOnePanelOnly which could toggle between one or two file panels? I know that I can use spliter for this, but I don't want to use mouse.
Raymond

Re: [feature suggestion] One panel only

Post by *Raymond »

Kret

You have my support. It's my wish too.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sorry I didn’t really get that feature! The magic of TC is the existence of two panels. The feature you need is already implemented by M$ and it’s called Explorer or should I say My Computer?! :D
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

2pdavit:

But in some case I do want to zoom one panel. For example, to check the full name of a long name file in full view mode, what can I do ? CTRL+F1 is not so fine coz it changes the view mode to brief and I have to change it back later with ANOTHER shortcut. Another choice is cm_verticalpanel. But in horizonal view there're too few files can be viewed. A new cm_TogleOnePanelOnly will be handy and better off.
My point is the same with Kret. Only keyboard, no mouse under TC.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

the "long filename-problem" can be changed via the configs, there is an option to have the whole filename "popup" in a typical win-bubble (or whatever it's called).

For actually just viewing ONE panel, maybe there could be (or already is?) a feature that let's you set percentage in the menu. Then you could just bind that command to a hotkey...
license #76904
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

TucknDar wrote:the "long filename-problem" can be changed via the configs, there is an option to have the whole filename "popup" in a typical win-bubble (or whatever it's called).
It's called hint
:wink:
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 23-02-2003 20:25:14 +0000 poiuytr wrote:

p> It's called hint

Actually, "tooltips"... ;)[/face]
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

hehe, yeah, "tooltips"... that's the word I was looking for. (If I remember correctly they're called "bubble" in the settings-dialog... )
license #76904
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 25-02-2003 18:09:57 +0000 TucknDar wrote:

T> If I remember correctly they're called "bubble" in the
T> settings-dialog...

Oops, they're called exactly "tooltips" there ;).[/face]
kerem

Post by *kerem »

Kret wrote:I have one wish to TC. What do you thing about command cm_TogleOnePanelOnly which could toggle between one or two file panels? I know that I can use spliter for this, but I don't want to use mouse.
I so wish this feature;(
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

kerem wrote:
Kret wrote:I have one wish to TC. What do you thing about command cm_TogleOnePanelOnly which could toggle between one or two file panels? I know that I can use spliter for this, but I don't want to use mouse.
I so wish this feature;(
as stated 8 years ago this feature is allready implemented into windows and called EXPLORER :D
If you dont want two panels then dont use tc - tc is a derivate of nc and a tc with only one panel makes no sense at all - especially in 2011 with the flatscrens getting bigger and bigger...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
kerem

Post by *kerem »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
kerem wrote:
I so wish this feature;(
as stated 8 years ago this feature is allready implemented into windows and called EXPLORER :D
If you dont want two panels then dont use tc - tc is a derivate of nc and a tc with only one panel makes no sense at all - especially in 2011 with the flatscrens getting bigger and bigger...
Well I think that you are missing the point. I do not one a single pane explorer. I want a dual pane explorer that would let me once in a while collapse the other one for a minute or so to gain more screen estate. There is a huge difference between collapsing a pane in a dual pane explorer and windows exploder.
kerem

Post by *kerem »

Btw this is more of an issue with "Non mouse" usages. You know I am sure you are moving the window seperator once ina whole to make one side bigger? If so why do you do it? Why do not you keep thedivider at %50 at all times? I think it is ridiculous to give explorer as a replacement to TC to ridicule the idea of shortcut controlled pane resizing, or toggling.

Sorry, if you have a stronger argument I am more than eager to listen.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

And there you are wrong - im a 98% keyboard guy who loves
shortcuts - and nevertheless my divider is ALLWAYS at 50%
(okay 6 years ago or so i use it once)
but i dont have such long filenames i need to touch the divider
If a filename is too long for a pane something is wrong with the file and i use SHIFT+F6 to see the complete filename...
kerem wrote: I do not one a single pane explorer.
But you stated you want that:
kerem wrote:
I so wish this feature;(
PS: my screen resolution is 1280x1024
(wich some people consider small as flatscreens get bigger and bigger but also do my eyes get older :))

PS: ofc my answer is arrogant because YOU fail to explain clearly what you want...
Last edited by Sir_SiLvA on 2011-03-10, 20:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
kerem

Post by *kerem »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: If a filename is too long for a pane something is wrong with the file and i use SHIFT+F6 to see the complete filename...
Arrogant answer really. This has nothing to do with file names. I have custom columns which let me see, the file owner, file permissions, creation and modification dates etc. I work in a multi-user environment where I need to see all the relevant information. Again this is not even about only columns or file names either. I can easily enable vertical or horizontal models, to see one way or another. This is about cases where neither of the modes is enough for glancing or operating on certain kind of folder environment, you know every folder is different.

Btw because you like to truncate file names does not mean that rest of the world should follow your conventions. There is nothing wrong with long file names as long as the operating systems allows for it. Very limited world view you got there on that particular point.

Anyways maybe your divider is %50 at all times but there are alot of users who would resize the slider when needed(which works with mouse only)