Receive "No Files Selected" popup sometimes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

FredY

Receive "No Files Selected" popup sometimes

Post by *FredY »

Every so often when I bounce down a directory I get the message popup telling me "No Files Selected". I click okay an the program proceeds, but at the next bounce down I get the message again. This will continue until I reboot the computer.

I think it has to do with the fact I brought up Windows Explorer -- while trying to help somebody else.

I am running Windows Commander 5.11

Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred :?
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I rarely get this message when mistakenly I press a keyboard shortcut without having any files selected! Are you sure you are not doing the very same thing?! :)

Another (bizarre) explanation can be that your computer is going the above! What I actually mean is that you might have a faulty keyboard or the port on your motherboard is faulty of even a loose contact. This can (I presume) generate unwanted input signals by your keyboard. If you have a wireless keyboard it might be also interference from other devices.

Lastly, I cannot imagine if other software can cause problems. I’m talking about automation software or keyboard shortcut related tools! But that’s just speculation.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
FredY

re: Receive "No Files Selected" popup sometimes

Post by *FredY »

This is happening when I double left click to step down a directory. When ever this starts to occur I make sure I am not leaning on the keyboard or anything else.

I thought the connection was with Windows Explorer, but I tried to reproduce the problem and couldn't. :( The computer had been on about 7 hours without the problem.

This happens so seldom I have not been able to tie it to anything. :?

Fortunately it is just annoying, not crashing WC. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is a translation program on the market which tries to translate every text it finds near the cursor when you double click in any program. I have received some reports that this translation program causes such an error. Do you use such a translation program?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
FredY

Post by *FredY »

I do not use any translation programs.

This problem only happens about every three or four weeks. Once it starts the only thing that stops it is rebooting the computer.

I have very few options changed from the way WC installs. I am not doing anything unusual. I would say that 95% of the time I am looking at directories double clicking on files to open them or using Lister to view them.

Sorry I can not be more specific.
Leif

Re: re: Receive "No Files Selected" popup sometime

Post by *Leif »

FredY wrote:This happens so seldom I have not been able to tie it to anything. :?

Fortunately it is just annoying, not crashing WC. :)
Same thing happens to me. Equally often. Slightly annoying ...
Spaghettificus

Post by *Spaghettificus »

No files selected' I get this occasionally when i travel to a subdirectory by pressing the enter key.
I have no idea how I get this dialog, but I don't think I do anything like the people above.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Maybe you accidentally hit a key like Delete?

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
FredY

Post by *FredY »

No, I have not hit any keys. Once this happens I shut down WC and then reopen it and that problem persists until reboot.

So even if had the first time, I make sure from then on. Also the delete keys are used by the right hand and I use the mouse with my right hand. So I would really have to go out of my way to do that.

There has to be more than three of us seeing this hick-up.

BTW it has not happened since I posted my first message.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

FredY wrote:BTW it has not happened since I posted my first message.
Damn! You scared the bug away! :lol:
FredY

Post by *FredY »

The miraculous power of close scrutiny has struck again. :roll:

It happened today again right after I ran a couple of batch files. So I quickly rebooted and again it escaped.

That sucker is fast…… :wink:
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2FredY
Watch him! Keep your gun ready under your pillow... Send his head when you catch'im.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I just had an idea: Sometimes the ALT key gets stuck, so when you double click, TC sees ALT+Double click. This will invoke the property sheet, but the [..] updir will give the error "No files selected". Example: I know that when you switch away from VNC, it will sometimes think that ALT is still pressed.

So the next time you get this error, please press the ALT key twice, this should fix the problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
FredY

Post by *FredY »

I am not going up in the directory structure, but going down. It works fine going up and using [..] even when it complains about going down.

But I will also try and remember if I used te Alt key and also remember to double click it when it next happens.

To the best of my recollection, I had not invoked the Alt key yesterday when it hick-upped.

Thanks, Fred