Verify after copy

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

knnknn

Verify after copy

Post by *knnknn »

Is there any reason why Total Commander doesn't have an option to verify the files after copying/moving them?

FastCopy and all the other substitutes suck or are buggy.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, verify isn't currently supported. It wouldn't be possible with the new default copy method anyway, because it doesn't allow to calculate a checksum or so during copying...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
knnknn

Post by *knnknn »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, verify isn't currently supported. It wouldn't be possible with the new default copy method anyway, because it doesn't allow to calculate a checksum or so during copying...
OK, then make it without checksums. Copy it and then compare byte-by-byte. That would be the preferred method since CRC only checks for write errors and not for read errors.
ado

Post by *ado »

well - if you need copy and then verify, just use Command->Synchronize Dirs... that after copy reread and re-compare dirs

ado
knnknn

Post by *knnknn »

ado wrote:well - if you need copy and then verify, just use Command->Synchronize Dirs... that after copy reread and re-compare dirs

ado
I don't want to synchronize anything. I just want to move a few selected/files dirs and then verify them and then delete them if they have been moved correctly. If they haven't been moved correctly then TC should retry to move them.

I see no way to accomplish that automatically with "synchronize dirs".
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

With SynchronizeDirs, you can Open the directory you want to copy to, on the Left (for example).
Select (only) the files you want to copy on the right.
"Synchronize"
[x] Only Selected in Main Window.
[x] Subdirs.
[x] By Content.
Show:
[ = ][ != ][ <--], [ Duplicates ], [ Singles ]
Click, Compare, then Synchronize.

If they aren't copied correctly, then they wont be equal afterwards. And if you want to be absolutely sure, just click Compare again, but I don't believe you need to click Compare after the synchronization/copy.
knnknn

Post by *knnknn »

Balderstrom wrote:With SynchronizeDirs, you can Open the directory you want to copy to, on the Left (for example).
Select (only) the files you want to copy on the right.
"Synchronize"
[x] Only Selected in Main Window.
[x] Subdirs.
[x] By Content.
Show:
[ = ][ != ][ <--], [ Duplicates ], [ Singles ]
Click, Compare, then Synchronize.

If they aren't copied correctly, then they wont be equal afterwards. And if you want to be absolutely sure, just click Compare again, but I don't believe you need to click Compare after the synchronization/copy.
Way too complicated. And won't work with search results for example.

I just want to press F5 or F6 check something like "verify" and get the job done.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

It's not complicated, You press synchronizeDirs.
The SyncTool remembers your settings. So once you have checked those things, you don't have to again. As well the "only with selected files" automatically selects itself - if you open the SyncTool with files selected.

So instead of F5 or F6. You press a SyncDirs Button, Compare and then Sync. Done.

The least you would get is two. Copy + Verify. And this is three...
knnknn

Post by *knnknn »

Balderstrom wrote:It's not complicated, You press synchronizeDirs.
The SyncTool remembers your settings. So once you have checked those things, you don't have to again. As well the "only with selected files" automatically selects itself - if you open the SyncTool with files selected.

So instead of F5 or F6. You press a SyncDirs Button, Compare and then Sync. Done.

The least you would get is two. Copy + Verify. And this is three...
1) SyncDir does not always work. E.g. it doesn't work with search results or branch view (ctrl-b)
2) Instead of 2 keys strokes (f5+return) I now need 5 mouse clicks. Ridiculous.
3) To copy 1 file I would need to mark it first (= an additional key stroke)
4) How can I MOVE files? I see only the possibility to copy with the sync tool. Even if I COULD move files I needed an extra mouse click to switch between copying and moving
5) I cannot use Queue
6) Where is the VERIFY (CRC or byte-by-byte) of the copied files?

I simply want an F5/F6 with a VERIFICATION of the copied/moved files. Nothing more and nothing less.
ado

Post by *ado »

it is not that complicated as you are describing and if your data are so important for you, than they are worth of those a few extra key-strokes/mouse clicks.
...but let me understand this:
why you insist on that verify functionality? What kind of media are you using that you need to verify the result of copy/move?
In normal cases there should not be cases that requires extra validations.
If you have problems with media, you should not use them for important data probably. If you have problems with surrounding HW, "verify" is not going ensure that your data are safely transfered

ado
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@Ado, I was kinda wondering that myself *chuckle* But I just let it be.
The only time I've suffered data loss is when Windows spontaneously decided on chkdisk after an OS re-install. I believe I plugged in a sata (data) drive before the right driver was loaded.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Why do you want to verify if the copy/move is OK, system is normally calculating crc during those actions ?

TC is not always the best tool for long batch transactions...

By the way i use xxcopy to copy and verify files after transfert.
For info the newest version also support unicode file lists and file synchronisation...

For cd/dvd and dying usb key you can also use tools like "Unstoppable Copier" but this is an other story....
knnknn

Post by *knnknn »

nsp wrote:Why do you want to verify if the copy/move is OK, system is normally calculating crc during those actions ?

TC is not always the best tool for long batch transactions...
Transferring gigabytes of files can cause errors. Whether it's a shaky network, shaky source hard drive, shaky destination drive or shaky memory.

I want a seamless integration in TC with all the functionality like "queue" or "auto-rename". Xxcopy is a commanline utility and "Unstoppable Copier" is for disks with read errors (like you wrote).
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

I want reliable hardware.
If i can't trust the storage medium, i can't even trust that the bits stored on the medium will be the same, one week after a verified copy.

Regards
Holger
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

HolgerK wrote:I want reliable hardware.
If i can't trust the storage medium, i can't even trust that the bits stored on the medium will be the same, one week after a verified copy.
Fully agree. If you become errors, you have not to catch this errors using skulful software, but simply change your hardware since it is not normal.