Total Commander 6.01 beta 2 available (public beta)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2graver
I have repeated all your steps and still got "Error executing program".
Dunno why this happens, but i have experienced this bug on all wincmd versions on win9x and winXP.
Maybe it's a problem of the called program returning an error although there is no error? Does it work when you associate it with notepad?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ay222

Post by *ay222 »

There is another something wrong (not a bug) that is:

Add a new tab or use an existing one and change its view style to "Tree"
it will automatically show the tree for the drive which the other panel show
the contents of any folder on it. Now if you lock this tab and swich to another
one, EVERYTIME you return to this tab WHILE the other panel show the contents
of diffirent drive, you will recieve another copy of this tab again and again
and you will lose your position on the tree. This must be fixed by enablling the other panel to show the contents of the tree you were locked it.

finally excuse me if any one had mention to this before.

thanks.
graver

Post by *graver »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2graver
I have repeated all your steps and still got "Error executing program".
Dunno why this happens, but i have experienced this bug on all wincmd versions on win9x and winXP.
Maybe it's a problem of the called program returning an error although there is no error? Does it work when you associate it with notepad?
No, it doesn't.
graver

Post by *graver »

I had theory that after unpacking files with 4+ symbols extensions they renamed to 8.3 dos names. Heh, i was wondering why does .html extension works. Now I know. It works because cutted extension looks like .htm - but that extension associated with browser too!.
If you register file type by adding several symbols to existing 3-symb.extension, it will be opened by program associated to this 3-symbols-extension-file.
Maybe it's unnoticed bug in localized versions of windows (Russian), i don't know.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Add a new tab or use an existing one and change its view style to "Tree"
it will automatically show the tree for the drive which the other panel show
the contents of any folder on it. Now if you lock this tab and swich to another
one, EVERYTIME you return to this tab WHILE the other panel show the contents
of diffirent drive, you will recieve another copy of this tab again and again
and you will lose your position on the tree. This must be fixed by enablling the other panel to show the contents of the tree you were locked it.
I don't consider this as a bug. If you lock a tab, you forbid TC to change dirs on that tab. So simply don't lock the tree tab.
samot

Post by *samot »

Some little problems:

- (very seldom) installation problem: if the TC is running with an Parallel-Port-Connection as server, setup can not close it correctly. The main window and the taskbar icon disappears but the server-window is still open (and you get an error message that it is not possible to close the TC).

- internal viewer: the next / previous file function didn't work if
a) you use the option "show file under cursor" (Shift-F3 or the equvalent setting in the configuration)
b) no files are selected

It would be nice if it would be corrected (in case b it should show the next file in the directory or - if it is the last - the first file).

- Directory Syncronisation with FTP-Servers (not a bug but a missed feature):
It should be possible to ignore files whose filedate/time differ for exact an multiple of one hour. Ok, I can set a FTP-Time-Difference of 1, 2 or more hours, but sometimes I have files with a difference of 1 _and_ 2 hours to those on the server in the same directory (most times if I syncronisize via parallel port) and the option ignores only the 1-hour or the 2-hour and not both types

- Syncronisation with an FTP-Server: the directory import of the FTP-Server can not be aborted (establish an FTP-Connection, choose Syncronisation, click on Compare and then try to click on Cancel and you will see that nothing happens and the TC continues to read in the directories of the remote server)

best regards

Thomas
haram

returning to tab with flatterned folder

Post by *haram »

how to reproduce:
open 2 tabs on the same pane;
flattern (ctrl+b) the view in one of them;
go to the other tab;
return back: first folder isn't shown flat anymore, so you have to ctrl+b again :(

p.s. my tc version is 6.0
eraser

Post by *eraser »

total commander very best manager SUPER STAR!!!! Foreva BELORUSSIAN MAN!!! quake III and Total commander FOREVA!!! Sanks AUTOR for Russian.
I'm very bad know english language. SANK AUTORU
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2haram
I did consider to store the Ctrl+B status per tab, but I decided not to do it, because reading Ctrl+B can be very time-consuming, so switching tabs could become very slow.
haram

Post by *haram »

ghisler(Author) wrote:2haram
I did consider to store the Ctrl+B status per tab, but I decided not to do it, because reading Ctrl+B can be very time-consuming, so switching tabs could become very slow.
it could be left as it was without re-reading file list. e.g. if we flattern the view, then switch to other application and then switch back, the list remains flat, and (as it seems to me) directory structure isn't re-read. the same could have taken place when switching between tabs...
ntz

Post by *ntz »

And what if directory content will change? You'll have to re-read it anyway, so it's pointless.
haram

Post by *haram »

ntz wrote:And what if directory content will change? You'll have to re-read it anyway, so it's pointless.
yes, and it is so in case of switching between apllications. if it works this way, why not to do the same for tabs?
haram

suggestion to improve lister

Post by *haram »

it would be convenient to have a key (e. g. f4 or ctrl+f4) in lister to open file in editor just like from tc's main window
samot

Post by *samot »

Oh yes, this would be very nice (switch Lister -> Editor)!

To the Strg-B-Discussion: I think the best way is to disable the Auto-Reread for such flat directories (or to disable it if it has more then 10, 20 or so subdirectories, you could include an option for that in the configuration).

Another point: why do you not include the NoReread-Settings (Ini: [Configuration] Noreread=xy to prevent x and y to automaticly reread) in the common configuration dialog? I was annoyed 3 years about the reread of a network folder with thousands of files (scripts) before I found this useful option in the TweakTC-Utility.

best regards

Thomas

PS: Do you prefer entries in the German or English forum / language?
Last edited by samot on 2003-12-03, 14:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TucknDar

Re: suggestion to improve lister

Post by *TucknDar »

haram wrote:it would be convenient to have a key (e. g. f4 or ctrl+f4) in lister to open file in editor just like from tc's main window
Indeed!! I'd love this!
license #76904