Feature Suggestion

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Peter Aird

Feature Suggestion

Post by *Peter Aird »

"Total Commander" is my favourite "utility" program. It would be just that tiny bit better if it had a "Print to File" capability in the Print Directory function.

I (and I suspect other user) occasionally need to anotate details relating to a particular file and it would be so easy if the Print Directory function could output to an ascii or notepad file. :D
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I think I've read or heard something about a printer driver, that emulates a real printer, but writes the output to a file. I've never had the use for such driver, so I cant tell u where to get it, maybe another one knows where to get this driver, if one exist that is.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
Peter Aird

Feature Request - Print to File

Post by *Peter Aird »

Thanks, I know you can do it in DOS and there may be indirect alternatives, but it would be nice as a direct feature in Total Commander. :D
bago

Post by *bago »

You should try the CatalogMaker and the DiskDir packer plugins: this would allow you to make files from a selection as like as you pack them in a compressed file.

The DiskDir file is simple text and is readable with a generic editor/viewer and has the great advantage that you can open it from TC and view content like the original one!
License #55385
Peter Aird

Feature Request - Print Dir to File

Post by *Peter Aird »

Thank you too - I am not familiar with the plug-ins but will try them out. I stand by my suggestion however, that it would all be easier as a standard function - especially as TC does such a great job of formatting the output already - all the hard work is done. :D
jb

Post by *jb »

I recommend FinePrint (currently V4.80). It is a universal printer driver with many features. One of them is to save print jobs to text, bmp, tiff, emf and jpeg formats. I use it since years and can only confirm what another user wrote: "It saves space, time, money and trees." A single license costs 40 US$. Updates are free since years as with Total Commander.

However in your case it may be sufficient to go to the command line and just write one of the following:
dir /s > MyDir.txt
tree /f /a > MyDir.txt
batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

Hi,
WINDOWS provides this functionality for years by a "Text only Printer". Under Win2K you have to install an additional printer "Standard", "Generic / Text Only" connected to "File". Printing to this device (from any application) raises an "to which file" Dialog and you're done.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, the Text only printer will do this, BUT you need to choose one of its fonts, otherwise the line breaks will be really ugly in the resulting text file!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com