[Feature Suggestion] Windows List Standard Behavior

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

[Feature Suggestion] Windows List Standard Behavior

Post by *jb »

"Quick search in current directory" in the "Operation" tab of the "Configuration" dialog currently supports the following options:
0 : Ctrl+Alt+Letters
1 : Alt+Letters
2 : Letter only
3 : Letters - with search dialog

The number of the selected option is the value of the "AltSearch" key in the "[Configuration]" section of "wincmd.ini" file. I suggest to add one more option to support the Windows standard behavior for lists:

4 : Windows List Standard

You can encounter "Windows List Standard" behavior in almost any list or drop-down list of any Windows application, for example in the lists of the commonly used "Open" or "Save As" dialogs, in the "Folders" pane and in the file pane of the Windows Explorer, in the file list of WinRAR V3.11, in the "Bookmark Manager" of Mozilla V1.2.1 and so on.

In my opinion the standard behavior is very simple, but nevertheless quite efficient in most cases because you just can quickly hammer the very same key and you can fully concentrate on the screen at the same time. After the first stroke when the focus is usually already close to your desired file then you can see immediately that you have to press the key for instance 3 more times. Furthermore the feature doesn't even require that you have both hands down on the keyboard. It is also useful if you are not an incredibly fast 10-fingers typist or when you have one hand on the mouse. Within quite large directories containing roughly 250 files with equally distributed initial letters you can focus a specific file on average by just pressing its initial letter 5 times!

Until recently I was convinced that "Letter only" is supposed to offer the Windows standard behavior, but I was wrong (Black Dog almost killed me :wink:). In the online help you can find the following description:
Letter only : Like in file manager/Explorer, typing a letter jumps to the next file starting with that letter. … You can type the first few characters of a file, not only the first letter. Total Commander will 'forget' the typed letters after about 1 second delay.

I find the behavior of "Letter only" mode irritating because it destroys the biggest advantage of the standard behavior and if you type approximately at a rate of 1 character per second you are not sure what exactly TC is searching for.
Leif

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Windows List Standard Behavior

Post by *Leif »

jb wrote:Until recently I was convinced that "Letter only" is supposed to offer the Windows standard behavior, but I was wrong (Black Dog almost killed me :wink:).
I'm still under that impression. What's the difference? I proposed this feature long, long ago to make WinCmd behave like Explorer.
jb

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Windows List Standard Behavior

Post by *jb »

Leif wrote:
jb wrote:Until recently I was convinced that "Letter only" is supposed to offer the Windows standard behavior, but I was wrong (Black Dog almost killed me :wink:).
I'm still under that impression. What's the difference?
Just read the sentence following the one that you quoted in the original post.
Example from "Black Dog" on page 3 of " [Feature Suggestion] TC Address Bar":
For example there are such files in a directory:

whatever.ext
whatever1.ext
whatever2.ext
whatever3.ext
wwhatever.ext
wwhatever1.ext
wwwhatever.ext

Now if you type "w" with about one second interval cursor will jump through all files. Now type "w" VERY fast two times. Did it? Then type "w" after about a second interval. Cursor will jump only through last three files. Now press "w" VERY fast three times.

Leif wrote:I proposed this feature long, long ago to make WinCmd behave like Explorer.
Nice to meet you! :)
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 26-02-2003 01:14:35 +0000 jb wrote:

j> I suggest to add one more option to support the Windows
j> standard behavior for lists

Yes, it can be a solution in your case, but I suggest another thing, type delay customization. Parameter it wincmd.ini, for example with delay time in milliseconds. Actually I already ask Christian for this a couple of years ago, but the answer was negative. So may be you can convince him. This way the functionality would be expander rather more, IMHO. BTW, after Christian decline my request I moved to "Letters - with search dialog" and stick to it. And actually I do suggest you to consider the possibility of this mode use.

j> Black Dog almost killed me ;)

Well, I was about to do it, actually ;). But as I told you, I already made my tests, so I decided to be a bit more patient than I am usually :).[/face]