Opening xlsx files as archives?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dalanik

Opening xlsx files as archives?

Post by *dalanik »

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with TC on Win 7 when I try to open xlsx files - when I press ENTER on files, instead of running Excel 2010 and opening file, it opens it up in TC as an archive (displays it's packed contents). It works OK with XLS and other file types... I can still open it by right clicing and selecting file name (Open, I guess), but it is less convenient than just pressing enter...

Any help appreciated...

D.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Hi, dalanik.
This shouldn't happen with default settings. Do you have any packer plugins installed?
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
CAP-Team

Post by *CAP-Team »

xlsx files are actually zip files.
I think you have some packer plugin installed which opens these files as archives (just as you would by pressing CTRL+PGDN).
dalanik

Post by *dalanik »

The same thing is happening with, i.e. APK files, but that is not the problem :) I'll have a look - funny thing is that it doesn't happen on all PCs (we have like 30 licences in my company)... where do I find plugins?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

dalanik,
Any "SearchInFiles" entry in the wincmd.ini?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC opens ZIP files with extensions other than .ZIP as archives if there is no association found for that file type. Please start Regedit.exe and check the contents of:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx

if the default value is e.g. "xlsx_file_type", you also need to check the contents of
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xlsx_file_type
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dalanik

Post by *dalanik »

Hacker wrote:dalanik,
Any "SearchInFiles" entry in the wincmd.ini?

Roman
No.
dalanik

Post by *dalanik »

It was the association! It didn't occur to me because from Explorer it opened Excel just fine. but in control panel when I displayed associations it showed "unknown application" for xlsx.

Thanx for your help!

D>
ado

Post by *ado »

dalanik,
since you wrote in the 1st post "when I press ENTER on files", I assume you are more keyboard oriented than mouse. Try this: Ctrl-Enter and then Enter.
The 1st one will copy file to cmd line and 2nd will execute it.
I know - it is not a solution but it will probably make your life with xslx files little bit easier ;-)
ado
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ado,
Try this: Ctrl-Enter and then Enter.
Just one Shift-Enter should be enough.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
andriusb

Same on Win10

Post by *andriusb »

Same on Win10, so I checked extensions and it was showed that XLSM is still associated with Excel. Nevertheless I just expanded dropdown list of available programs and selected Excel. That solved a problem.
suimong

Re: Same on Win10

Post by *suimong »

andriusb wrote: 2018-01-16, 11:09 UTC Same on Win10, so I checked extensions and it was showed that XLSM is still associated with Excel. Nevertheless I just expanded dropdown list of available programs and selected Excel. That solved a problem.
Same issue on Windows 10 1803, and the association with .xlsx in Windows Settings is already shown as "Excel". But anyway I clicked it and select Excel again to force Windows to re-associate it, and it solved the problem in TC!

Just another possible solution for future user's reference.