Creating Shortcuts with Original Extension

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AlecRoth

Creating Shortcuts with Original Extension

Post by *AlecRoth »

How can I use the Create Shortcut action Total Commander to create a .lnk that contains the original file's extension. When I create and extension to, say, a file called "Document.wpd", the extension file name is "Document.lnk". I would like it to be "Document.wpd.lnk". Is this possible?
Clo

?????

Post by *Clo »

2AlecRoth
:)   Hello !
• You can always rename the *.LNK file like you wish, but I doubt it works later...
• I don't know your goal at this; however, if you want to launch the file with the right program, it's simpler and more secure to associate it with that program: "Files" menu >>> Associate with... Then follow the dialog-boxes.
• Hence, you'll can launch the file then with a double-click on it, and/or install the program with an icon in the button-bar.
• In that case, you have just to carry the file on this program-icon via Drag & Drop. Isn't necessary to associate the file with it before…
¤ Hoping that'll help you,
:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I like TC's behaviour when creating links to executable files sometimes. But it's annoying on all non exectuables that's why I still use explorer method for creating links.

Would be great if a checkbox "keep extension" would be added to link creation box or some switch in wincmd.ini.

@Clo:
You can always rename the *.LNK file like you wish, but I doubt it works later...
Only thing that matters is the extension behind the last dot. If it is "lnk" it is a link, otherwise it is not.

Icfu
Clo

For Desktop---

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
:)   Hi Jeff,
• Thanks for the info... I'm not a LNK-maniac. In fact, I use them only to install programs quickly in Win extra-tool-bars on my Desktop.
- For the rest, I do like I explained to AlecRoth; maybe the old habits from Win 3.1 ?

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When you create multiple links at the same time, change the proposed *.LNK to *.*.LNK , then it will include also the original extension.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Too much work, sorry.
Explorer method (mark all files, right click, create link) is faster. I see no reason why extension gets dropped when creating links and regarding your answer you won't add it to wishlist? Well, I'm used to it. ;)

Icfu
AlecRoth

Post by *AlecRoth »

Thanks for the *.* trick.

Like icfu, I feel it would be nice if there were a way to make this automatic (optionally), so I don't have to change the entry in the dialog box when creating a shortcut. What I had been doing was typing *.EXT.LNK where EXT is the extension I want to keep. *.* saves me typing and now I can do multiple extensions.

The reason for keeping the extension is in those cases where filename is the same but the extensions are different. On my system, this happens quite a bit. Leaving off the extension is not an option for me.
IGL

Post by *IGL »

I do see a reason for keeping extension in links (Filename.ext.lnk), eg.
when you have the same filename with various extensions, when you want to now more precisely what does the lnk point to and more. But I do not see any practical reason for replacing extension with lnk. ANd adding another * manually is uncomortable.
Mr Ghisler please, spare us that action, make us free of this or give us an option to make filename.ext.lnk.
:-)
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 11-03-2004 14:14:47 +0000 IGL wrote:

I> I do see a reason for keeping extension in links
I> (Filename.ext.lnk), eg.

Well, I don't - as for me additional "extension" in shortcut name is useless and I always avoid of using the dot as a part of file name, so I guess Commander present day behavior is absolutely right.[/face]
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Links to song.jpg and song.mp3 have the same filename. You can't even create them at the same time because of that, makes no sense.

Dropping the file extension leads to superfluous renaming considerations.

Anyway, an optional "keepextension" setting in ini will satisfy both needs, no reason to be against that feature.

Icfu
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

From my point of view the current behavior should be changed to filenames that include the original extension. This should be the default behavior.
An option to create shortcuts without original extension could be included, but is not a must.
jb

Post by *jb »

Lefteous wrote:From my point of view the current behavior should be changed to filenames that include the original extension. This should be the default behavior.
An option to create shortcuts without original extension could be included, but is not a must.
I totally agree. Preserving the original file/directory name entirely by default is actually a must, while replacing the extension (current behaviour) is rather a dispensable option.
There is one more argument against the latter: Even if TC 6.02 creates a shortcut to a directory such as "IrfanViewV3.85" then annoyingly you get "IrfanViewV3.lnk". That is, you get an incomplete shortcut name, although with directories an extension clearly belongs to the name, because unlike with files the extension of a directory can NOT be used to associate the directory with a program.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello to all.

I would like to support all those wishing that the default behaviour should be changed to include the filename extension in the linkfilename.
I noticed that more often than not I would like to keep the original filename extension. I do not see any sense in hiding part of a filename from myself (or any other user.)

So, please, Christian, put on your wish list for the next version of TC:
When creating links make the default action to keep the original filename extension.
Or, please, add a configurable wincmd.ini setting which allows each user to choose his/her favourite default behaviour. (This should satisfy all.)

Regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2004-03-14, 19:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song

Post by *Sticky »

What is all this talk about the default action? An OPTION is what you need! It's whacky to switch stuff up on the users for no reason.
A nice check box next to "Copy NTFS permissions" would be ideal. Somewhere that can easily be changed 'on the fly'. But, even if it's that easy to change, it still shouldn't be "default". Why change things up unecessarily for the users who are currently satisfied--like me and black dog? We shouldn't have to do any extra work for your option; that's your job. But what do I know, this is only my fourth post... :-)
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 13-03-2004 02:54:09 +0000 icfu wrote:

i> Anyway, an optional "keepextension" setting in ini will
i> satisfy both needs, no reason to be against that feature.

I'm not against, just can't see the reason to change something - it's OK for me like it is now.[/face]