It's time to release TC 9.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2sgp
do what about them? (in the context of TC9)
Expose them in the UI.
HBB

Post by *HBB »

Before all, TC 1.00 for linux (Simplified one like android)!
Skif_off

Post by *Skif_off »

2HBB
TC uses WinAPI, you can use Wine. Simplified one like Android - almost all file managers with GUI :) For example, Double Commander is interesting project.
tjsuominen

Post by *tjsuominen »

Trying to be constructive:

Personally, I very much like SW (no matter big labels like Office or the smallest shareware) development & release to be agile. So whenever there's some bugfix to be released or minor feature to be released, why deleay the release? There's no forcing to update nor auto-update (hint-hint ;) so it's everyone's own choise whether to update or not.

Secondly I would very much like to have somekind of formulated feature / roadmap discussion (/ voting) in place - there are many possibilities and some actual proposals written under this forum topic too. Why? Because it's today's way of having dialog between users and developing team.

However, in the end. it's Christian's call what and how to take all of these discussions into account, if any. Today SW industry and product development is way different than in the early years of TC. There are close alternatives which I keep on evaluating should TC someday stop developing - I hope it never does! It has saved me hours and hours and is my tool for file mgmt.

All the best and keep on develpoing!
jpyllman

Post by *jpyllman »

About comment in this thread earlier. I like the 'project' thought. I actually would like there to be some central software/component that can control the project selecting part. Cause I often work on very different 'projects' that make you have to kind of set up your computer from scratch every time you change 'project'. And since some 'projects' grow in scope I do not really like to use tabs to much. I rather use the change directory menu, but I would like to make kind of filters or things like that to make it easier to find what you are working on at the moment.

Just some thoughts.
sgp

Post by *sgp »

sgp wrote:A major new function that I'd like to see is "support for user projects". What's that? It's a bunch of diverse features, many already available, that weave together to form a coherent project-oriented application. I believe this is what many users, including me, have in mind when they ask you, Ghisler, to improve tabs with colors, tab group saving/loading, and so on
I would like to think of TC 9 as a ..."file manager with [many great] preset applications: viewing, renaming, searching, compressing, comparing files/folders and, now, managing user projects".
Christian, even if you don't embrace user projects [...] I think you need [...] to set the direction.
I was the one to make the "project" proposal. Sorry for quoting myself above, I just wanted to say again that I believe Christian should set the direction where he wants to take TC9 before we engage in detailed requests of project-oriented features. If Christian isn't interested in projects as a TC application, for whatever reasons, there is no point in getting deeper. It could even be frustrating. So IMO first set direction(s) (Christian) then define features (Christian, users).
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I wonder…

How about looking at TWinKey and implementing some of its enhancements?

Or making TC more friendly to multimedia files, like.:
- mixed thumbnails+list view - horizontal details view combined with thumbnails,
- better QuickView: http://fenixproductions.pl/joomla/images/screens/tc/ideas/qv_list02.png
- exiftool (or similar library) support like: TCMetaDataViewer

Or maybe implement something like MultiLister?

Eventually: allow lister thumbnails source configuration to be extension based?
Currently we can only specify either IrfanView or XnView to take thumbnails from. Why not both (each for specific extension)?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2fenix_productions
The question is always about priorization of new features and how useful they are for most users. Looking for new ideas in existing external tools and plugins is of course a good idea.

I like the idea to view more file than just one file at once in Quickview and Lister. Very much like Quicklook in OS X. Although not a major feature I really think quite a few users would use and like it.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@Fenix

Or even just look at Windows File Explorer with QTTabBar installed.

You basically get a "TreeStyle-like" browsable folder structure without needing to waste space by displaying a TreeView.

A blue arrow drop-down is shown to the right of folders that allows you to explore the Folder structure similar to TC's breadcrumb bar -- except that files are also listed. When you hover the mouse on any of the files a "lightbox" pops up that displays the contents of text files, or super-sized image thumbs.

Alternatively, once the "blue arrow drop-down" is clicked, you can browse the folder structure with arrow keys, and you will get the same "lightbox" effect as if the mouse was hovering there.

Also, Windows has been generating thumbnail files since Windows XP. Is the format not accessible to non-MS programs? I thought microsoft was pretty good about describing it's API's and formats...
Last edited by Balderstrom on 2015-01-30, 10:19 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Galnospoke

Post by *Galnospoke »

For now Windows version is typical abandonware. Only Android version is developed. Again: money über alles, so loyal customers please piss off.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Galnospoke
money über alles
How do you come to that conclusion - the Android version is free!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

But we need a file manager for phones. Since we can't plug the phone into the PC and browse the device with the File Manager's we already have. Oh wait...
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Just reminded myself about TreeView with columns like:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/23746/TreeView-with-Columns

Would be also nice to see :)
Imagine merging it with thumbnails+details view or custom columns.

Few more ideas for different views to look at:
http://objectlistview.sourceforge.net/cs/index.html

Also Sourcegrid demo can be great inspiration:
http://sourcegrid.codeplex.com/

This would be something "eye catchy" and something which could be nicely shown to new users. TC ugliness (as some presume) could be taken down a little bit.

-------
Lot bigger work:
move "update part" of some operations to the end of proccessing and make it pluginable. Some plugins could be used for copy/delete/move then.

As an "update part" I mean:
- updating thumbnails database
- updating descriptions database or descript.ion files

This could not only enhance such operations but would also give the possibility to, i.e. schedule such tasks. Plugin could make its own schedule for this and TC could stop proccessing right away. This would definitely speed up copying/deleting because it would be plugin responsibility to update additional information.

It would also help with making files descriptions functionality better.

@Balderstrom
I think SageThumbs uses Windows thumbnails database.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

What you can also add is graphical columns that could lead to a new "tumbnail" plugin concept... What i really miss with icon view is no not see what is interesting me side to the nice picture... so i use Quickview but i do have info only for one file at the time !

This is a feature that is visually impacting and could be very cool with Five star ranking, mini picture, size bar, check results, ....
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Galnospoke wrote:For now Windows version is typical abandonware. Only Android version is developed. Again: money über alles, so loyal customers please piss off.
Sorry, but what a useless garbage is this.