Total Commander 9 public beta release date?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Nice to hear that. Looking forward for the new version.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

We will go with the iconexperience g collection, the gradient style which is following the Windows 10 desktop icon rules
The 'gradient style' in the g-collection should be a good base. In contrast to the other two variants they don't have reflections which is definitely better.
Some color choices are bit a weird, sometimes contrast isn't very good light-blue/yellow but I guess this is solvable.

I'm also looking forward to seeing them in TC ;-)
However, only 2 % can be used directly, the rest of our icons have to be combined from various of their icons. They include a tool which allows to do this, so we will try it.
I saw these tools and liked the idea. In some cases it would be really cool to combine icons like folder/column view/sort/etc. with general icons like picture/movie/docs/music as a user instead of having them predefined in the icon lib. Is this something that would be technically possible and also no icon licensing issue?
In addition to flexibility this would also save storage space.

As we all know just combining icons won't give us all required icons so I really hope you find someone who will create the missing ones based on this collection. As the collection has really quite a few icons required for TC not too many custom icons need to be designed.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

What do you guys think of the V-Collection from the same authors? Personally I like it better, it seems to provide a look that I would expect from a modern TC, however, I admit it is not very Windows 10-y.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I would like some set with less distracting details like shades and gradients...
To be honest, I would mostly like some set that looks just like current TC icon set. :D
j7n

Post by *j7n »

The G-style looks like Office Clipart, meant for printing(!). From a practical perspective, the icons are missing outlines. They have them at 16 and 24 pixels, but for an odd reason (probably to look Metro-ish) don't in larger sizes. I'd expect the exact opposite: in smaller sizes an outline consumes significant area that could be used to express the objects on the picture. All the light blue files blend with the white background of the website and become indistinguishable from it. Against Windows-grey, something else would go: probably the magnifying glasses and keys. With an outline either it, or the fill color would be distinct from the background, and unlikely that they both would blend. Different systems have different background colors, and the icons can't be matched against all of them (2000/XP darker, vista/seven nearly white).

The V-style (Vista) looks good. Vista was a step up from XP in readability because most icons had accented outlines where XP had blurred shadows.

Most icons from V-style also look good at 16x16 (such as menu items). Most software no longer has this size drawn by hand.

Looks like that at this rate everyone will have to pay an upgrade price for TC 9 just so that 2-color Metro icons could be bought. lol
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2j7n
to look Metro-ish
That's not Metro (aka Modern) style at all. That would be the I or M collection.
From a practical perspective, the icons are missing outlines.
I think the idea here is too use gradients to have a similar effect but I agree that it doesn't work in all cases as the gradients only run to a single edge. Especially those light-blue document icons you mentioned could be critical.
license wrote:You may modify the icons in shape, color, and/or file format and use the modified icons royalty-free according to the license terms for any commercial or personal design and software projects. You may also display the modified icons in related documentation, help files, and advertising materials.
The license seems to be very generous when it comes to modifications. So I don't see a problem in doing some fine-tuning. That should be very easy to do as you get the SVGs.
The V-style (Vista) looks good.
These are 3D icons - even in smaller sizes - which is a no-go for toolbar icons.
MiloW

Post by *MiloW »

The direction is OK. Not perfect but waaaay better from what some of the Windows XP fans here are trying to impose...
xxxl

Post by *xxxl »

ghisler(Author) wrote:We will go with the iconexperience g collection, the gradient style which is following the Windows 10 desktop icon rules:
https://www.iconexperience.com/g_collection/

However, only 2 % can be used directly, the rest of our icons have to be combined from various of their icons. They include a tool which allows to do this, so we will try it.
New icons appear excellent. Appearance is very important.
Good work
j7n

Post by *j7n »

Lefteous wrote:These are 3D icons - even in smaller sizes - which is a no-go for toolbar icons.
I found the icons to be reduced better than many other examples (including XP), most small sizes appear to be drawn rather than downscaled, although the authors often maintain too much detail (for example, memory chips and SD card have the same number of pins in all sizes). Where 3D is clearly not possible, the best icons have dropped the perspective - calculator, handheld device, monitor.

I can't come up with a precise illustration right now, but I think this is how it was always done. Not all sizes need to have same elements and perspective. Maybe, disk drives in Win9x - you can hardly see any depth on them at 16x16, particularly CD-ROM. But at 32 and 48 px, those become rectangular boxes.

Count me among Windows 2000 fans. XP was all about: "hey we must have true color", even if that means a blurry smudge without any symbolic content. Therefore I took the opposite path from XPize/Vize, and made my XP look like Win9x/Me/2k. I also have two fine products which offer(ed) a choice of icon style: Everest and IsoBuster. Win2k style is most clear in all sizes, shiny and allows to create compact screenshots...

The word "impose" seems appropriate to describe Microsoft's UI guidelines/rules.

From a practal point of view, Vista-style seems quite wasteful, if a single program can have 10-20 megs of icons in it. But I must admit it is beautiful to look at.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
krstatzar

Post by *krstatzar »

So any news on when can public beta be expected?
markthepig

Post by *markthepig »

we're dying to see the new features,please give us an eta.Does anybody know what's new in TC9?
rus73

Post by *rus73 »

markthepig wrote:Does anybody know what's new in TC9?
There is a special theme. "Officially confirmed features for Total Commander 9"
a_flying_visit

Post by *a_flying_visit »

Yes, please give us the approximate date. How long until 1st beta? Days, weeks?
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Years, decades? :D :D
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The beta test is still planned for this spring. I'm currently fixing some remaining bugs, some of which are very hard to fix and take half a day or more.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com