New Total Commander 9 icons available for testing!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AnimusAstralis

Post by *AnimusAstralis »

I registered here (also got myself non-Gmail email box for that matter :) ) just to express ghisler my gratitude for updating those old obnoxious icons. I'm sorry but those are absolutely unacceptable in 2010+ UI.

I've been using TC for my whole life (since early 2000-s I believe) and all this time I've been searching for some replacement for standard icons. Today during my yet another casual search for new icon sets I accidentally stumbled upon this thread and I'm so happy about what is happening!

Excuse me for this rant, but I absolutely must support developers in their decision. I was unpleasantly surprised with all this negativity towards new icons. I guess my opinion is somewhat biased because the chosen style is quite similar to what I tried to create for myself, but still...

I used icons8 'flat color' library (wanted to show some pics, but I can't post links yet). BTW, their 'Office' collection contains beautiful and crisp 16px icons as well as larger versions with more details.

Anyway, I can't thank TC developers enough for making this important decision. Can't wait for 32px version.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

32x32 icons are available now!

Download here:
https://plugins.ghisler.com/900/wcmicons9v3.zip
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sorry Christian but those icons are inferior in my humble opinion comparing to the ones we presently have in TC8.

I know taste differs and please don't get me wrong, I'm not against new icons, I'm only against icons that aren't aesthetically pleasing and/or help in productivity.

Some are overcrowded, some inversely oversimplified but above all the color choice and design is rather frequently childish certainly not polished or professional looking.

I'm speaking the truth (or simply expressing my own preference/opinion) only because I care.

Reverted back to the default library. :-( ...or maybe :-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

pdavit,
He is alive! :D

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I admire in silence. :-P Or as you grow up you have much less time to spare on hobbies.
Happy to see you Roman.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When pdavit returns from his deep slumber it most be something serious.
Let's wait for a few more iterations and hear what betatesters say. If it's not just fine-tuning but a deeper problem that cannot be solved Ghisler should consider to startover.

2pdavit
He is alive :shock:
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Heh!! Hi there Lefteous. Good to see you too.

My humble opinion is that icons is the work of artists. Well, at least maybe 60% with the remaining being knowledgeable on computing to some level and area of concern.

Apparently it is not guaranteed that a software designer has also the artistic vein. TC is a masterpiece on its own league and sector. But certainly we simply shouldn't expect the same person to design beautiful web pages and icons. Maybe he can, maybe not.

Hell, even in between artists you don't get the same level of quality, right?

I can understand that while hiring an eternal team to do the job might be the most professional approach and the one to guarantee positive results at the same time it might not be so easy for various reasons cost inclusive.
I can understand that TC just cannot embed some "open source" linux-type icons not purely on licensing implications but most probably due to the existence of custom TC features where default libraries just don't cover.

But I really don't want to be "brutal" on this topic. As long as we have a choice and maybe the potentiality for more libraries to come, I'll be happy.

Plus Christian should be focusing on what matters most as he has been doing anyway for decades now.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I know taste differs and please don't get me wrong, I'm not against new icons, I'm only against icons that aren't aesthetically pleasing and/or help in productivity.

Some are overcrowded, some inversely oversimplified but above all the color choice and design is rather frequently childish certainly not polished or professional looking.

I totally agree. When used with non-flat buttons, especially with 3D effect, (pre-Windows 8/10) they don't look good.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2pdavit
I know that the plain icon package was made by professional designers but I have no idea who is actually doing the refinements and the work to make those icons not contained in the library.

As discussed earlier the TC buttonbar is some kind of a tragedy. As the guidelines say 3D icons are something that shouldn't be placed on a buttonbar. But hey - users can place program icons on the buttonbar and this icons are quite often 3D icons. I guess there is more than one way to handle this situation. Some ideas...

1) Find an icon style that works with any kind of other icon. This could mean it's similar or something that make a larger contrast so you can easily distinguish those different button types.
2) Just ignore the fact that there are very different icon styles on the buttonbar.
3) Visually separate command and externak program calls in the buttonbar.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

BTW, here's a nice example of a competitor...

http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19765
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, I think that they look out of place for Windows desktop icons, they are more suited for Windows apps. And I also think that they look more childish than the G collection I use. I can only agree that the colors are a bit too saturated in the G collection, but that's true for the stock icons they provide too (e.g. the pack/unpack icons).
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Which I guess proves my point that taste differs and if we have the choice of multiple icon libraries we virtually cover most of those flavor needs.
And since I really don’t want to consume your time on multiple icon sets let’s settle down for the time being with this new one and the existing (old to be) for those familiar with and who knows what the future holds.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you know a good icon creator who knows how to create true Windows desktop icons, then let me know! So far no one could recommend one to me. That's why I use the (for me) best looking stock icon collection. The G Collection follows the Microsoft guidelines for desktop icons very closely.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you know a good icon creator who knows how to create true Windows desktop icons, then let me know! So far no one could recommend one to me. That's why I use the (for me) best looking stock icon collection. The G Collection follows the Microsoft guidelines for desktop icons very closely.
Shouldn't harm to get a quote of cost and timeframe here:
http://www.ergosign.ch/de/service/leistungen/icon-design

I presume you should be normally getting a portfolio of sample styles to choose from, outline your needs, number of icons to be designed and agree on the delivery date with an estimated cost.
Maybe also some kind of guarantee/contract that you will be backed up by future needs, i.e. a future new internal command requires a new matching icon that has to be uniform in style with those provided on initial order.

Under:
http://www.ergosign.ch/de/kontakt
I see also contact details in Zurich which I believe close to you and might actually help for a more reliable collaboration.

This is of course not binding whatsoever, as I said it shouldn't harm to just get a quote.
The cost might be unreasonably high for you, or you might not be satisfied by the existing portfolio and delivery date.

And you are not obliged somehow to share the internals with us.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Not much of a functional value probably but it might actually look pleasing to see icons on the button bar too. Configurable with an ini switch to cover all tastes. With an exception of ‘Exit’ the remaining functions do already have an icon associated.