New Total Commander 9 icons available for testing!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

hlloyge

Post by *hlloyge »

Yeah, that may be, but the percentage of those owning high DPI monitor is still very low. They just gathered in one place so it seems they are common.

Still, it is time for TC to get overhaul, and people will just have to get used to it, ans they got used to Win2k, WinXP, Win7, Win8, Win10.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Most icons are combined from multiple icons, either 1:1 or downscaled with Gimp.
I guess the basic downscaling should be done with a vector program like Inkscape (free) or Illustrator as you have a SVG. The next step is to the optimize it for the smaller size. I guess a designer knows how to do this...
About the blurriness complaint: If the icons wouldn't be drawn with partial transparency, we would have the same problem as with the old icons: People would complain about "Windows 3.1" look because of the pixelated outlines.
Another way to avoid outlines is control the background color/gradient/pattern - but this would be really unusual for TC...
I don't think just outlines make it look Win 3.1. On the other side using per-pixel transparency doesn't worsen the constrast.

The funny thing here is that many newer icons (to avoid the term modern) are outline-only or single color icons with controlled background colors. Well this has been discussed before...
We started with 16x16 because these are the most commonly used on most user's screens.
I'm not sure if this is the case for the buttonbar but I have to admit it might be true for the main menu. This has nothing to do with HiDPI. I guess many users already prefer 24² and 32² icon size in the buttonbar.
I agree that icons should be simplified, but if we simplify them too much, people will no longer recognize them.
The simplification I was thinking of is aimed in reducing to what is necessary. The result must be at least as good or better recognizable than before. The example I posted above is what I ment. It reduces unnecessary complexity.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

As written before I would like to discuss some of the currently used metaphors like the asterisk as base icon for selections. For me asterisk is just a represenation of 'all'. So here are my ideas based on the 'rubber band' frame as used in iconexperience. Asterisk is used here too but only for the select all icon.

I have created some drafts (it's only about the metaphors not the visuals)
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160510/dt96m374.png
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Lefteous,
Your mark icons look nice. However, since asterisk is more an 'inversion' than 'all', [*] icon may be used exactly for inversion, [+] for expanding, [-] for shrinking. Perhaps something like [*] and [*] could be used for selecting/deselecting all (or maybe something better?)...
Or maybe + sign should be used in all extension icons and - in all shrinking icons and some additional symbol like ... or ? could be used for dialog and * for all: [+?], [-?], [+*] etc ([] here means rubber band frame).

Also instead of undo/redo icons we could use some kind of box (diskette?) with arrows inside/out for saving/loading selection.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MVV
Thanks for your reply - good thoughts!
However, since asterisk is more an 'inversion' than 'all', [*] icon may be used exactly for inversion
Why is an asterisk more like inversion? 'Select all' means 'complete' the selection without considering the current selection while invert really means invert so selected files will be unselected and vice-versa. I think the current invert icon is okay for 16².
Perhaps something like [*] and [*] could be used for selecting/deselecting all (or maybe something better?)...
Interesting - that brought me an idea. As the rubber band is the metaphor for selection different colors could be used for selecting/unselecting. I guess it has to be black/red for obvious reasons...
Or maybe + sign should be used in all extension icons and - in all shrinking icons and some additional symbol like ... or ? could be used for dialog and * for all: [+?], [-?], [+*] etc ([] here means rubber band frame).
As there are many selection icons a unique way to disntinguish selection/unselection is welcome - as long as it works in the icon and isn't too complex.
Also instead of undo/redo icons we could use some kind of box (diskette?) with arrows inside/out for saving/loading selection.
Good idea it must be considered though that there are temporary and permanent ways to save the selection.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Why is an asterisk more like inversion?
Erm... I think because of its hotkey. :D
If we talk about wildcards, * is of course 'all', and it may be used for both expanding/shrinking selection.
As the rubber band is the metaphor for selection different colors could be used for selecting/unselecting. I guess it has to be black/red for obvious reasons...
Using colored frame sounds good but I think +/- signs may still be useful for ones with poor eyesight (even with black/red instead of green/red)...
As there are many selection icons a unique way to disntinguish selection/unselection is welcome - as long as it works in the icon and isn't too complex.
Indeed, and I think it should not be the same element that mentions which items will be selected/deselected.

So, frame as a selection, some elements for expand/shrink/inverse and an additional element telling what should be added/removed/inverted: custom mask, all items, files, folders etc.
Good idea it must be considered though that there are temporary and permanent ways to save the selection.
Maybe file/clipboard icons for permanent ways and e.g. memory chip icon for temporary one?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Lefteous
Your selection icons look very nice. My fear is that people who used the old icons for years will not recognize the new ones any more.
I guess the basic downscaling should be done with a vector program like Inkscape (free) or Illustrator as you have a SVG. The next step is to the optimize it for the smaller size.
That's the problem - the svgs need conversion to pixels and heavy optimizing to look decent in 16x16. I doubt that this will lead to better results than just adjusting an existing 16x16 pixel image.
I guess a designer knows how to do this...
If we knew a good designer familiar with Windows 10 Desktop icons this would be ideal, but no one seems to be doing these any more - they either moved to Windows Store icons or Android or iOS...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
My fear is that people who used the old icons for years will not recognize the new ones any more.
As TC9 will support rubberband selection when using left mouse button selection mode I think the time is right to change to the rubber band selection metaphor.
If we knew a good designer familiar with Windows 10 Desktop icons this would be ideal, but no one seems to be doing these any more - they either moved to Windows Store icons or Android or iOS...
From my professional experience designers also have favorite design directions they like to discover but in the end a good designer is capable of doing what has been requested. Many designers might not have this kind of icon style (let's call it Windows 10 style) in their portfolio but only because it's not requested that often - I mean who does desktop applications for Windows 10 nowadays (I don't really like the trend but it cannot be denied).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As TC9 will support rubberband selection when using left mouse button selection mode I think the time is right to change to the rubber band selection metaphor.
Yes, but it's optional (enabled by default).

We are currently trying to improve the contrast/sharpness of the icons:
old
new
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

http://iconfactory.com/

They can make whatever icons you want if you are willing to pay for them. Worth a shot to get in touch with them. They made icons for many big companies like Microsoft, Twitter, Lego etc.
efesreal

Post by *efesreal »

I'm trying share im using icons
efesreal

Post by *efesreal »

But forum doesn't accept links. How can i do?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

efesreal wrote:But forum doesn't accept links. How can i do?

Read the message you got on adding links.

Till your postcount is greather than three, "Mask" linkls by adding spaces inside:

http //ghisler.ch board/posting.php?mode=quote&p=307812

efesreal

Post by *efesreal »

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2efesreal
I wasn't able to download the files. The site where the files are hosted looks and behaves quite shady.