How can I add "portable devices" to the drive bar?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rado84

How can I add "portable devices" to the drive bar?

Post by *rado84 »

I got a new phone (windows phone) which appears as a portable device in My Computer and if I wanna manipulate its files, I have to open Windows Explorer. So, how can I add my phone to TC drive bar and/or have it appear on that bar whenever I connect my phone to my PC?
TC user since 1999
Can't live without TC
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

F.ex. see there >

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=44092

&highlight=mobile+devices

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2rado84
13.01.16 Added: Show up to 3 external devices without drive letter (e.g. Android or Windows Phone) in Alt+F1/F2 drive dropdown list (32/64)
As far as I know there is no way to add 'portable drives' to the drive bar. In TC 9 they should appear in the drive list.

2ghisler(author)
Why are these drives not added to the drive bar as well?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Why are these drives not added to the drive bar as well?
Because the space is very limited, it might take more lines on the screen when a device is added. That's also why I didn't add "Computer"and "My Documents" to the bar.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Because the space is very limited, it might take more lines on the screen when a device is added. That's also why I didn't add "Computer"and "My Documents" to the bar.
From my point of view not finding the drives is far worse than a wrapping drive bar - but hey we have an overflow button now which could be used for the drive bar as well...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author),
So maybe you can simply make a GUI setting window for chosing which items should be on drive bars to make its customization more user-friendly? Ones who don't need any devices there will just uncheck that option, another ones who don't need specific drives will hide them, and all will be able to add some frequently used items...
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

My support+ to show new inserted devices in drive bar.

I would prefer to show only the media inserted by default (HideRemovableNoMedia=7), like Windows 10 does. Not tested in others OS's.
I think we can gain an extra space in the drive bar in many cases with such option by default.
I suggest this too, because from time to time, some users ask in the forum; 'where is my inserted device? I can not see it, etc.)

Currently I have this parameter to 7 and no wrap bar is shown. i.ex: On my default PC, starting TC with fresh ini, and when I change "show drive buttons" to checked, the text for available disk space is wrapped in a second line because '4 new' drivers from my car reader are shown.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
pmshah

Re: How can I add "portable devices" to the drive bar?

Post by *pmshah »

How come some USB connected flash drives display regular internal drive icons while some display regular removable drive icons? Any way to fix this?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

pmshah wrote: 2018-08-30, 03:54 UTC How come some USB connected flash drives display regular internal drive icons while some display regular removable drive icons? Any way to fix this?
Probably it's because how the devices reported their different kind of drive.

Starf0x

Post by *Starf0x »

pmshah wrote: 2018-08-30, 03:54 UTC How come some USB connected flash drives display regular internal drive icons while some display regular removable drive icons? Any way to fix this?
Nah, it is the autorun.inf that causes the shown icons, this is how I solved it for every removable:
In the root of the removable make an autorun.inf and add the following line (pointing to YOUR icon)

[autorun]
icon=.\SeagateExpansion.ico

Thats All,

Cheers Starf0x