How about a dark GUI for TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

EvilDragon

How about a dark GUI for TC?

Post by *EvilDragon »

It would be great if toolbars and other parts of TC would be adjustable color, instead of default Windows style... It's kinda obnoxious having dark background in the file panes, but not anywhere else in the GUI...
Last edited by EvilDragon on 2016-08-10, 09:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When using a dark visual style or just dark colors in Windows this will also be used in TC.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

And what about dialog windows that use Windows theme? Why don't you set dark theme in Windows?
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

I am using dark mode in W10 Anniversary Update, TC doesn't follow that change at all...

In W7 it only works if I go to Windows Classic theme, which I don't like. It should work with default Aero theme as well... And as you know, W10 doesn't offer Classic theme at all.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2EvilDragon
Looks like even many Mickeysoft programs don't support this. Currently this isn't a feature of Win10 only an experimental registry setting. I guess you could complain if it becomes something that works system-wide.
SSc

Post by *SSc »

Currently this isn't a feature of Win10 only an experimental registry setting.
Just for the records: since Win 10 anniversary update (that is being rolled out since a few days) the dark mode is an official setting in the personalization options. No more registry hacking required.

Apart from that I agree that the dark mode is ignored by most of the Win 10 applications, even the MS own ones.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2SSc
Just for the records: since Win 10 anniversary update (that is being rolled out since a few days) the dark mode is an official setting in the personalization options. No more registry hacking required.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the changes of the anniversary update yet.
Apart from that I agree that the dark mode is ignored by most of the Win 10 applications, even the MS own ones.
Well I consider Windows (10) as an ongoing technical beta :evil:
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Create a link on your Desktop to (Just copy&paste):

C:\Windows\System32\control.exe /NAME Microsoft.Personalization /PAGE pageColorization

It will make a connection to "Color and appearance", a hidden control setting in Win10.

By this you can comfortably create classic themes in Windows. In a visual way.

There are still some minor disadvantages in TC, like invisible symbols for Directory hotlist and History.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Oh joy, what an improvement, users can now choose between eye-burning white and black! So many options, ain't that crazy? Who can handle so much freedom?! Except on second look, it only works for few of these "modern" apps and the rest of system is not moved by it in any way. Even on empty desktop alone, it still has half of popup menus with hardcoded light background and other half with hardcoded dark background. And the rest of system is not any better.

The sad fact is, that the whole customization in Windows is messed up beyond repair. Most things are not easily customizable any more. You can still change some things in registry, but half of programs will ignore it anyway. Many now use a different kinds of custom skins each, so you can't make two look alike. And this new development won't improve the situation either.

Sorry for non-helpful rant, but sometimes I have to, it's stronger than me. ;)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The sad fact is, that the whole customization in Windows is messed up beyond repair. Most things are not easily customizable any more. You can still change some things in registry, but half of programs will ignore it anyway. Many now use a different kinds of custom skins each, so you can't make two look alike. And this new development won't improve the situation either.

Sorry for non-helpful rant, but sometimes I have to, it's stronger than me. ;)
Well I consider Windows (10) as an ongoing technical beta
I couldn't agree more ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Stance wrote:It will make a connection to "Color and appearance", a hidden control setting in Win10.
Edit: When you use a Classic Theme.
siealex

Post by *siealex »

The dark mode is used ONLY by "Modern" (Metro) Windows 10 apps, not by classic ones.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
Bob___

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EQWnmdXk2fo/maxresdefault.jpg

Post by *Bob___ »

Hi,

this is my 1st post in this forum and I have only a simple question :)

Is the Total Commander team thinking about to offer a dark theme to TC?
I mean, look at the other big major applications like Adobe's Photoshop, or Maxon's Cinema 4D or even MS Office 2016 ... all are offering a dark theme in the meantime.
I am using TC since 1999 and spent many, many hours in front of this bright shinning left & right windows of TC. I hoped that there will be once a possibility where the bright theme could be changed into a dark theme.

Is this really impossible?

Thank you for your attention.
Bob
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Bob___,
You can tweak color or any GUI element in TC, either in TC settings or in your Windows theme settings, so it is up to you.
Last edited by MVV on 2017-02-05, 12:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EQWnmdXk2fo/maxresdefault.jpg

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome, Bob
Bob___ wrote:... many hours in front of this bright shinning left & right windows of TC.
I hoped that there will be once a possibility where the bright theme could be changed into a dark theme.
You could go to Settings > Color
and change 'Background' to e.g. gray.