English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Re: New forum active now!

Post by *ts4242 »

Fix confirmed.

I don't know what is HScroll you're talking about, i didn't saw anyone before on mobile!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When using Allanstyle-SubSilver, I could move the forum page sideways by about 5 pixels, and the page had a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom. The other themes don't seem to have this problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

I see, but i didn't noticed that before so i can't tell if it's fixed or not.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was happening in the Samsung browser and Firefox. Maybe your browser wasn't affected.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

wanderer wrote: 2018-08-11, 13:55 UTC
Phred wrote: 2018-08-11, 07:53 UTCThe *ghisler(Author) object on the left in red takes me nowhere.
It isn't supposed to. It just copies the username to the "reply" box. 😀
Ah... I see what you mean. By accident.
By accident, I happened to notice, later, that 2[username] had been added, multiple times, after multiple clickings, to the Quick Reply box down at the bottom of the current page, off-screen.

That's a subtle GUI feature not normally in the handbook. Making real and present changes that aren't visible in the GUI.
As Snagglepuss used to say, "Exit, stage left!...". Or 'bottom', as in this case.

There's no visual cue as to what the 'live' *[username] does. Would it not be worthwhile adding a hover-over tooltip to that control?
...as there are in this editing box that I'm in now for each of the format controls (except 'mod') above ...tho they're all greyed out, normally indicating that they're unavailable ...but that's a story for another thread.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Phred wrote: 2018-08-22, 05:04 UTCThere's no visual cue as to what the 'live' *[username] does.
That's why (as suggested above by Usher i think), it might be better the "*user" to be changed to "@user". Users are more familiar with this notation and it would also be more modern.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Brumm

Post by *Brumm »

"@user" would mislead long-time IRC users to think they were all moderators, IMO.
Dateimanagerfetischist.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

The default prosilver style has at the top-right 3 items: Notifications, Private messages and the username menu containing links to UCP, Profile and logout. In other forums i see it like this. In this forum however "Private messages" does not exist neither in the desktop site nor in the mobile one. Has it intentionally been removed for some reason, and if yes, why?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2wanderer
PNs have always been disabled in the TC forum. Ghisler most likely explained somewhere why, but I can't remember if he did and what's the reason to disable them (probably some legal thing?).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Dalai wrote: 2018-08-24, 13:37 UTCPNs have always been disabled in the TC forum.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, i think i remember them missing in the old forum too...

Thanks.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I have disabled PMs. Why? The forum is meant for public discussion. I don't want to have to answer the same question again and again and again when users send them via PMs. Users who need support can always contact me by regular e-mail.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
Actually, users can disable private messages individually in their User Control Panel. There is an option in "Edit global settings" ("Board preferences" tab) like that:
UCP wrote: Allow users to send you private messages: ( ) Yes ( ) No
Note that administrators and moderators will always be able to send you messages.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Could we perhaps get a Syntax Highlighter for our code blocks? Could e.g. highlight.js be used?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Hacker
I have tried this in the test forum, but decided against it. Why?
1. It gets highlight.js from a third party server. I tried to change this to ghisler.ch, but it didn't work. This is a problem with European data protection laws.
2. As I understand it, it loads a separate javascript for each supported language, even on pages not containing any source code. This would put a big strain on browsers especially on mobile
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have just updated the board to phpBB 3.2.3. All my modifications should still be working. Please report here or by e-mail to support at ghisler dot com if anything is wrong!