Concerning TC copy speed and SSD Queue depth (QD1, QD32,..)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PhilDer

Concerning TC copy speed and SSD Queue depth (QD1, QD32,..)

Post by *PhilDer »

1. Does Total Commander use Multithreading wile copying or is one block copied at time?

2. As far as I understand (?) this directly influences, if the Queue depth and potential parallelizing of commands of modern harddisks is used if only one single directory copy (let´s say thousand small files) is to be done?

In other words, which Queue depth is relevant if I copy one large directory with Total commander?
"Relevant" in the sense- which SSD performance chart/test value is interesting for me (knowing about weaknesses of such data or tests, but that´s another point..)
Is file/directory copy parallelized maximal in Total Commander- in other words: Does the (SSD) hardware automatically use the maximum queue depth possible with current file copy method? Or ist only depth 1 used, and one block/file after each other copied, so the speed of QD1 is relevant ?

I am aware that you are not using special algorithms to speed up copying, but using multiple threads could be not seen as something very "special" nowadays, correct?

3. Is there a difference to questions above, if "big files copy method" is used?

Thanks in advance, Philip
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Concerning TC copy speed and SSD Queue depth (QD1, QD32,..)

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC uses the Windows function CopyFileEx by default. To my knowledge, it doesn't use multithreading, but only a few people at Microsoft will know for sure.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com