Showing Network Device works only on 2 out of 3 PCs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

neil154

Showing Network Device works only on 2 out of 3 PCs

Post by *neil154 »

I have 3 PCs they are all on the same home network. If I click on the network in Total Commander in 2 of the 3 PCs, I see all of my devices. On the third PC , when click on networking icon I do not see all of my devices. For example the third PC does not "see" one of my PCs (but if I go to Windows explorer which also does not see the same PC but I put in the path the PC is found and I can see the files).

Please tell me how to get Total Commander to see the PC (and if possible tell me why Windows Explorer also does not see the pc).

All PCs running Windows 10 Home vervsion
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Going to Network Device

Post by *petermad »

Is the setting for NetHoodStyle (if present) the same in the wincmd.ini of all your 3 PC's?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
obeg

Re: Showing Network Device works only on 2 out of 3 PCs

Post by *obeg »

Please tell me how to get Total Commander to see the PC (and if possible tell me why Windows Explorer also does not see the pc).
I think that this is the original problem, Windows can't see the PC and then Total Commander can't either. So if the problem is solved in Windows, it will be solved in Total Commander also.

Have you checked in Network and sharing center (Control Panel) that the network type is "Home Network"? and that they are connected to the same Workgroup?
neil154

Post by *neil154 »

My network is shown as "Private" and they are all on the "Workgroup".

I have done a lot of investigation since I originally posted. It appears that the problem is due to the Windows network issue with the latest update . So at this point I would like to know if there is a way to add a tab within Total Commander and have the tab use a manually typed in path. File Explorer does not see the other PC but if I manually put in the path it gets there with no problem. So I would like to be able to do same in Total Commander.

Thanks
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2neil154
You have multiple options to work around the issue:
  • Directory hotlist (Ctrl+D) with the command cd \\server\share
  • The same as above but as button in the button bar
  • Shift+F6 (when the cursor is on [..]-item) or 2 slow mouse clicks on the path bar (above the column headers) to enable path edit mode to be able to type the new path
  • the command cd \\server\share in TC's command line
Maybe there are even more options but that should get you covered for now.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
neil154

Post by *neil154 »

I did a control D and then put in the command "cd\server\share" and then in target path I put "HPENVY\C:\USERS\Documents\temp" also tried "\\HPENVY\C:\USERS\Documents\temp" but in both cases I get error message which pops up and "File not Found!", "The system cannot find the file specified:

I would appreciate more help

PS: I tried to attach screen print but could not figure out how to use "insert image" icon
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

neil154 wrote: 2018-08-20, 13:25 UTC ...
PS: I tried to attach screen print but could not figure out how to use "insert image" icon
Upload your picture to an Image hoster and post the URL here.

More Info: viewtopic.php?p=287482#p287482

neil154

Post by *neil154 »

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2neil154
The two backslashes before the server specification are not a typo and the "server" and "share" parts must be replaced with the actual computer and share name respectively! Example: Let's say your other system's name is "home-pc" and your share is named "private" the complete command would be

Code: Select all

cd \\home-pc\private
Also note the space after the "cd".

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
neil154

Post by *neil154 »

Thanks, My PC# 1 (which I am using to set the command) is NEILTABLET and the login name is neil) the PC#2 which I am try to see from PC #1 is (name is HPENY and login name is Neil), So I have the command as " cd \\hpenvy\neil" ( and there is a space after the cd). But my path is still a problem. I want it to go to "C:\Users\Neil\Documents" so that is what I have put in for the target path but I get an error message "Drive not found"

Please help again
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Have you tried "cd \\hpeny\c$\users\neil\documents" (without the quotes)? It should work if neil is an administrator in HPENY pc.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2neil154
A share name is NOT a login name! The share is something you probably created at some point in the past when you shared some directory on your PC. The login name is used later when trying to access that share.

[EDIT] Typo [/EDIT]

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2018-08-20, 22:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence

neil154

Post by *neil154 »

I should have realized what was meant by share, thank you I have it working the way I want and I did not have to have any path