Icons of Excel disappeared

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Abel D.

Re: Icons of Excel disappeared

Post by *Abel D. »

Looks OK I think. Direct comparison in Explorer (left) and TC (right): https://i.imgur.com/i7LfplT.jpg
Other icons are OK: https://i.imgur.com/McqudIS.jpg
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, weird.

If you in TC's menu click "Files" -> "Associate With.." and type jpg in the box in the upper right corner of the "Associate dialog" - then what do you see:

In windows 10 you should see something like:

Code: Select all

JPEG Image (C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1)
In Windows 7 you should see:

PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Jpeg (C:\windows\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1)
-------------------------

You have:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\PhotoViewer.dll\shell\open\command]
@="%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
I have:

@="%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
You could try and change that and restart your system.

-------------------------

You should also check:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\DefaultIcon]
it should show:
%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-72
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

petermad wrote: 2019-06-24, 18:52 UTCIf you in TC's menu click "Files" -> "Associate With.." and type jpg in the box in the upper right corner of the "Associate dialog" - then what do you see:

In windows 10 you should see something like:

JPEG Image (C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1)
In TC's menu, after click "Files" -> "Associate With.." I see:
Applications\photoviewer.dll (C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1)
petermad wrote: 2019-06-24, 18:52 UTC You have:

@="%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
I have:

@="%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1"
You could try and change that and restart your system.
I changed the code in regedit to:
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1
but no change in icon problem. Just after taping on jpg file in TC system asked about associating jpg file. I choosed Photoviewer (marked always use this program). Restarted TC, but no effect.
petermad wrote: 2019-06-24, 18:52 UTC You should also check:
it should show:
Yes, I have exactly the same.
Thanks!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Did you restart your Windows after changing the registry?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

petermad wrote: 2019-06-24, 20:39 UTC Did you restart your Windows after changing the registry?
Sure.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I am out of ideas...
License #524 (1994)
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

petermad wrote: 2019-06-25, 07:05 UTC I am out of ideas...
Yes, I know that feeling :? Thank you anyway!
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-23, 09:48 UTC Just after Windows 10 1903 update jpg was associated to Irfanviewer (Windows changed this itself), but I changed it back to Photoviewer.

Re-installation of TC didn't help.
It doesn't work if running TC as administrator either.

Registry info about jpg association listed below:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="IrfanView.jpg"
It should be "jpegfile" set as default here.
It looks like you have jpg extension still associated with IrfanView. Did you uninstall IrfanView? Did you remove jpg association with IrfanView before uninstalling?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Usher
It does not seem to matter as long as:

I also have:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="IrfanView.jpg"
In my windows 7, but it is the icon for PhotoViewer, that is corrctly shown.

And in Windows 10 I have:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc"
And it is still PhotoViewer's icon and PhotoViewer that is handling .jpg files because I have:

@="%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-72"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open]
"MuiVerb"="@%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\photoviewer.dll,-3043"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\command]
License #524 (1994)
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-25, 15:21 UTC It looks like you have jpg extension still associated with IrfanView. Did you uninstall IrfanView? Did you remove jpg association with IrfanView before uninstalling?
But association is right in TC and Explorer. After click jpg file opens in Photoviewer (in both cases).

I have the second system - Windows 10 as well, but it's before 1903 update. I think after this update my Photoviewer icon on the second system will be gone as well :cry:
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-25, 22:38 UTC
Usher wrote: 2019-06-25, 15:21 UTC It looks like you have jpg extension still associated with IrfanView. Did you uninstall IrfanView? Did you remove jpg association with IrfanView before uninstalling?
But association is right in TC and Explorer. After click jpg file opens in Photoviewer (in both cases).
It doesn't matter. Microsoft solutions in many cases are highly illogical. Just test it, please, it won't be worse.
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-25, 22:38 UTCI have the second system - Windows 10 as well, but it's before 1903 update. I think after this update my Photoviewer icon on the second system will be gone as well :cry:
In Windows 8+ Microsoft added apps from Windows Store and set another level of priority/compatibility for those apps. It's possible that association with such apps somehow has higher priority and if you want to properly uninstall such apps, you should do similar steps as I've described for IrfanView.

And remember: You should feel lucky, if you hadn't fought against ACDSee.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-25, 15:21 UTC
Registry info about jpg association listed below:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="IrfanView.jpg"
It should be "jpegfile" set as default here.
It looks like you have jpg extension still associated with IrfanView. Did you uninstall IrfanView? Did you remove jpg association with IrfanView before uninstalling?
I didn't uninstall Irfanviewer, because I need it. I wanted to change the file association in registry, but after entering regedit in .jpg has right value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg] = Applications\photoviewer.dll
I don't know where exactly in registry is Irfanviewer jpg association. It's listed in registryinfo only.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-27, 15:57 UTC I didn't uninstall Irfanviewer, because I need it.
But do you want to use IrfanView as default program and see IrfanView icon for jpeg files?
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-27, 15:57 UTC I wanted to change the file association in registry, but after entering regedit in .jpg has right value:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg] = Applications\photoviewer.dll
It's NOT the right value (or it's presentation). In *.reg file by default you should see

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="jpegfile"
And in regedit you should go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg" key and see "jpegfile" as default value.

Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-27, 15:57 UTC I don't know where exactly in registry is Irfanviewer jpg association. It's listed in registryinfo only.
It's obvious. Run regedit and go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg" key, then read default value there.If it is still "IrfanView.jpg", go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Irfanview.jpg" key. You will see blank icons, if the latter key is absent.

If it's "another value", locate "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\another value" key. If there is no "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\another value\DefaultIcon" key, you will also see blank icons.

You can easy find other keys associated with IrfanView, but they are active only if set as default value for proper extensions. For example: If you can see "IrfanView.png" set as default in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png" key, then "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.png" key should be used to work with png files.

Note: All quote characters (" ") in text are value/string delimiters, NOT a part of any value/string. Do not copy them to the search field in regedit.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Abel D.

Post by *Abel D. »

Usher wrote: 2019-06-27, 20:23 UTC
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-27, 15:57 UTC I didn't uninstall Irfanviewer, because I need it.
But do you want to use IrfanView as default program and see IrfanView icon for jpeg files?
But IrfanView isn't default program for jpeg files and everywhere besides TC I see Photoviewer icon :? I don't see IrfanView icon anywhere.
Usher wrote: 2019-06-27, 20:23 UTC
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-27, 15:57 UTC I don't know where exactly in registry is Irfanviewer jpg association. It's listed in registryinfo only.
It's obvious. Run regedit and go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg" key, then read default value there.If it is still "IrfanView.jpg", go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Irfanview.jpg" key. You will see blank icons, if the latter key is absent.
After finding [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg] in regedit I have: https://i.imgur.com/q7tHhUZ.jpg
In OpenWithProgids section: https://i.imgur.com/tmfogGd.jpg

In the section [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png] is IrfanView indeed: https://i.imgur.com/1uiwzRt.jpg
And in section [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.png\DefaultIcon] is: https://i.imgur.com/Xg1jkbD.jpg

Now I'm confused still and I don't know what can I do next?

P.S.
Thank you for all your help, it looks like you are from Poland like me, thanks again! :)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-28, 15:48 UTC After finding [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg] in regedit I have: https://i.imgur.com/q7tHhUZ.jpg
I have NEVER seen such an association before. I can't find any "Applications\some_exe_or_dll" associated by default with any extension. It may work, but in this case you must put path to DefaultIcon right here, in the key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\DefaultIcon - and this key doesn't exist on your previous screenshots and listings.
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-28, 15:48 UTCIn OpenWithProgids section: https://i.imgur.com/tmfogGd.jpg
OpenWithProgIds is for context menu and is associated with file types other other default. There may be also OpenWithList and THIS key by default contains subkeys listed in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications.
Abel D. wrote: 2019-06-28, 15:48 UTC In the section [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png] is IrfanView indeed: https://i.imgur.com/1uiwzRt.jpg
And in section [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.png\DefaultIcon] is: https://i.imgur.com/Xg1jkbD.jpg
PNG seems to be properly associated with IrfanView. You should see proper IrfanView icon for png pictures.
Andrzej P. Wozniak