Weird sorting method

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Octopuss

Weird sorting method

Post by *Octopuss »

I have a folder with files with numbers in brackets at the end of their names.
I use ascending (I believe, upwards arrow) sorting method, and the files are in somewhat random order.
File with (1090) is on top of the list, it goes to (1399), and then there is (14). That's wrong!
Does anyone have any explanation?
This is especially annoying when I open the first file in an image viewer and am wondering why the next file I move to is not the second.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Weird sorting method

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Its not wired and not wrong.
Just take a few minutes and look in the options what "Sort order" you have selected.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
sportkiraly

Post by *sportkiraly »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2018-10-06, 11:20 UTC Its not wired and not wrong.
Just take a few minutes and look in the options what "Sort order" you have selected.
Horst.Epp is right. Go to "Configuration">"Option">"Display">"Sort method" and change it from "Alphabetical..." to "Neutral sorting: alphabetical and number" and save.
Just to make it easier if you want you can look at this video on youtube which shows you exactly what Horst.Epp wrote you. https://youtu.be/mdDSVSvNdG4
(I hope it is not a problem to add a link to a youtube video if that relates to the problem.)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I'm afraid it won't work for negative numbers…
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

2Usher
Of course : its called natural sorting so it works primarly for natural numbers (not for rational, complex or negative numbers).
Or do you count and order things with negative numbers?

:mrgreen:
Holger
Make our planet great again
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2HolgerK
Would you be so kind and answer my questions without irrelevant or a priori comments, please?
What order do you expect when using natural sorting for both positive and negative numbers?
Have you tested natural sorting methods for decimal fractions or version numbers?
Have you tested natural sorting methods in Windows XP or older systems?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Usher wrote: 2018-10-06, 17:29 UTC Would you be so kind and answer my questions without irrelevant or a priori comments, please?
Your question? I thought it was a comment...
Usher wrote: 2018-10-06, 17:29 UTC What order do you expect when using natural sorting for both positive and negative numbers?
I'm expecting that the sign is simply ignored because it's not part of a natural number (only positives!).
Usher wrote: 2018-10-06, 17:29 UTC Have you tested natural sorting methods for decimal fractions or version numbers?
I know that sorting, especially directories or files without extension, is complex because the part after a decimal point (or after a digit grouping symbol e.g. in europe: a point) may be interpreted as extension, but TC has an option for this...
Usher wrote: 2018-10-06, 17:29 UTC Have you tested natural sorting methods in Windows XP or older systems?
No, afaik the sorting algorithm depends on a system function, as well as it may depend on your regional settings.
But honestly, working with more than 4 years unpatched operating systems and expecting the newest bugfixes, algorithm and hardware support (ever tried to get support for a newer cpu on windows 7 or vista?) is not the point here.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again