Multiple ini files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JohnTC

Multiple ini files

Post by *JohnTC »

Hello TCers!

Is it possible to split wincmd.ini into multiple files?

I would like to keep part of the ini in a folder that's synced to another computer and part in a folder that isn't synced.

Is such a thing possible?

As always, thank you for your assistance!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multiple ini files

Post by *Dalai »

Yes, it's possible. Search for "RedirectSection" in the TC help file and/or in the forum and you'll find plenty of information on this topic.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
JohnTC

Re: Multiple ini files

Post by *JohnTC »

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you!
Python

Re: Multiple ini files: suggestion

Post by *Python »

Not so awesome, as I think. Some year ago, I wrote a special "multiIni" class (for Delphi), which supports loading data from multiple INI's, but write in one. For example, I have a default configuration option, sytem-wide configuration and user configuration. It may be useful to try to read option from user config, then (if not found) in system-wide config, and lastly, use default setting. When writing, the data must be flushed into per-user setting only. The per-user setting may be %APPDATA%\GHISLER\wincmd.ini, the system-wide configuration may be %COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd.ini.
I don't insist, but such configuration splitting may be more easier to understand.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Multiple ini files: suggestion

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Python wrote: 2018-10-31, 20:29 UTC Not so awesome, as I think. Some year ago, I wrote a special "multiIni" class (for Delphi), which supports loading data from multiple INI's, but write in one. For example, I have a default configuration option, sytem-wide configuration and user configuration. It may be useful to try to read option from user config, then (if not found) in system-wide config, and lastly, use default setting. When writing, the data must be flushed into per-user setting only. The per-user setting may be %APPDATA%\GHISLER\wincmd.ini, the system-wide configuration may be %COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd.ini.
I don't insist, but such configuration splitting may be more easier to understand.
I don't see any benefit in your suggestion.
The current behaviour allows all possible combinations of user specific and general ini files.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64