Preset pack string question

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Gannet

Preset pack string question

Post by *Gannet »

The forum search turns out blank while Google and Bing decided that today is their bad hair day (on a public desktop here, so I'm not wondering).

TC9.21, WIn7: If I select multiple FILES, open the packing interface, and then select CREATE SEPERATE ARCHIVES, the pack string always ends with "*.*.ZIP", "*.*.RAR" or whatever, meaning that packed files are named "test.jpg.zip" or "test.tif.rar". Where can I tell TC to default to "*.ZIP", "*.RAR", etc. in such cases so that I receive archives without extensions merged into the filename?

Thank you!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Preset pack string question

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can only change the *.*.zip manually to *.zip. But the risk is high that you will get name collisions this way.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Gannet

Re: Preset pack string question

Post by *Gannet »

As Windows demands unique filenames, the only real possibility of a "collision" of sorts would be a "2018-10-Report.pdf" tucked together with a "2018-10-Report.bmp" into a "2018-10-Report.zip" ... and that would actually make sense. Even if somebody selected single ZIP (or RAR, or whatever) per selected file. In fact I just noticed that I could use exactly that in multiple cases - I have over hundred folders which contain multiple single entities as well as patent registration PDFs with one external BMP image each, for example.

Sorry, I'm sounding like a real pain. But is thereat least a small possibility that this packing setup will be changed anytime?