Disable "press enter alter alt tab"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Valman

Disable "press enter alter alt tab"

Post by *Valman »

TC is my right hand, so I exit it only on very rare occasions. I have configured the following settings (win10):

OnlyOnce=1
TrayIcon=1
MinimizeOnClose=3

I have pinned TC to start menu so that I can launch it via winkey+2. My workflow is the following:

a) Whenever I want to launch TC I press winkey+2
b) If i want to close it, I press alt+F4. Since MinimizeOnClose=3, this will place TC to tray
c) If I want to activate it after first launch, I simply press winkey+2. Since OnlyOnce=1 it will activate the previous/single instance. and remove it from tray
d) If i want to actually exit TC (which I almost never do btw) I press winkey+2 to activate it and alt+F then Q to exit.

In this setup, I don't have to use mouse at all: Winkey+2 load/activate, alt+F4 hide and alt+F+Q exit. I use some other programs in the same way like CopyQ (alt+v show, alt+f4 hide, alt+F+x exit) and autohotkey (which is extremely configurable anyway).

However, TC pollutes my alt+tab menu with a strange window: "press enter after alt tab" which i guess is a backward compatibility thing.

Is there any way I could disable that window?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disable "press enter alter alt tab"

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, set TrayIcon=0. When it is set to 1, and TC is minimized to the tray, then the TC main window is hidden and doesn't appear in Alt+Tab. What you see in Alt+Tab is a small window outside the visible screen just used for Alt+Tab. However, when you minimize other programs, this window can get the input focus by mistake. Therefore you have to press ENTER after Alt+Tab to it to prevent that TC is restored by accident.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valman

Post by *Valman »

Hmm, I see.

There is no way I can minimize tc to tray without it being displayed in the alt-tab menu at the same time, right?

Most programs that I minimize to tray are not displayed in the alt-tab menu. They are usually activated via a keyboard shortcut or via double click on the tray icon.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There isn't - it was added because people complained that they couldn't switch to TC while it was in the tray.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fux

Post by *fux »

I have exactly the same scenario and would also like to have an option in which I can choose to see Total Commander in the [Alt] + [Tab] summary, if minimized or not.