Why should I use Total Commander over other tools?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TotalCommander?

Why should I use Total Commander over other tools?

Post by *TotalCommander? »

For example I use Devart's Code Compare program to recursively compare folders and or drives to see they both match up or not in content so that I have a perfect 1:1 copy. Notepad++ has a recursive search function too that I can use, and I use TeraCopy - also another free program (although the author of that said paid version will be better in future with more features than the free edition) to copy/move files around, oh and forgot the fourth - HashMyFiles to compare hashes of all files of any sizes so if Code Compare's folder directory doesn't match and say this file is different to this file even though they are both the same filetype and name, I can use this program to hash their values and compare them - if they are indeed different then I will have to choose which one to keep and which one to delete(even better if I had another copy of the file somewhere else and compare hashes with that and that will tell me if this was the original backup file and the other one was corrupted on transfer or destroyed/affected by a virus or something) - I guess I could also open up their contents and find out what is different like if it was a zip file, I would use WinRAR or 7zip or if they're mainly text I can use code compare again to compare the text inside each file to see what is different; all four of these are free, compared to Total Commander that is only a trial for one month and after that it will become useless unless I purchase a license to use it which is around $45-ish in my currency or $60-ish for full price....

Try and sell this program to me to see what it has going over the free alternatives. :D

I have notice that neither can do three way or more to compare folders or directories recursively, though I think the paid version of Code Compare can allow three way folder compare. So what if I want to have 6 backups of everything? I have to compare each drive in couples and then compare one of each couples to another of a couple, let that finishe and then compare that couple to the last couples' drive and if they all match 100% then that means I have perfect 1:1 copy for all 6 backups - however this method will take a long time, especially if you have like 50TB or more of data to backup on 6 drive systems. Perhaps there is aim to have the synchronize directories option to have more than two directories to compare and sync?

Now if there is a way to compare more than two directories at once, I may be more inclined to purchase a license to use this program after the one month trial....because I actually do have more than one backup that I would like to have perfect 1:1 copy each.....otherwise its a 50/50 for me maybe less since I already have free working alternatives to do the job fine.....

So yeah, as mentioned above, please persuade me to buy your software! ☺

PS - Speech Check required: 50 :P :mrgreen:
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why should I use Total Commander over other tools?

Post by *MVV »

It is your life, you have to choose to use it or not. But you have mentioned a bunch of very different programs with very different interfaces, while TC allows to merge then into single unit that is able to call required tool at a required time with minimal efforts, you can enter all supported by TC and its plugins archives like folders etc. Currently you have to start them from Explorer, open required folders every time, open many windows and do most of actions with mouse, while in TC you can start your tools with current folder as start path and begin to work with them faster, or even start them with already configured command line to do the job w/o additional dialogs, and use much more keyboard for these tasks.

PS. You can continue using trial TC after first month, TC author allows this, you only have to press 1-2-3 button on program start. :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

TotalCommander?,
The best way would be to test it yourself and see if it's worth the money.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

As a long time TC user (unregistered) i decided to buy it when i got my first job (many years ago) and realized that after installing Windows, this was the first tool i needed to install in order to be able to do anything on the PC. It's a tool that has many useful subtools in it. If you are a simple user, you may not need to use it constantly, but if you are a more-than-average one, you will find it useful that it combines several subtools in one package. They may not be the best in the market but it's useful that it's an all-in-one tool. Another great advantage is that you pay for it once in YOUR life (not the program's life) and you've got upgrades forever.

To make it simple: for me, it is definitely worth its money.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

because its the best, every tool has its own great features, TC has them all, it competes with all of them together not just with one.

and its the fastest to operate (shortcuts etc) just a great story is ,a long time ago I worked at Microsoft, and they were against buying any software, you can use Microsoft software of course, but its very hard to convince them to buy something else.

I of course cant work with any other tool, as I work with Total commander since the early days (much before the name change - yes I always confuse and call it windows commander) .

I could not convince the IT guys to let me buy it, at the end I challenge them to a competition , the IT guy VS myself, with certain file management tasks, he with Microsoft tools, I with total commander , of course after 1 min , when I was about to finish all 10 tasks and he was still in the second, he gave up and approve my purchase, If I recall it was 30 licenses for my group....

:)
TotalCommander?

Ok after some more testing, here's my comment:

Recursive search doesn't give a quick view of text if searching for a specific word or phrase inside text/log files or any files that are just text inside them that is readable to the human eye. It only shows the affected file. If there was an option to turn this one, that would be nice so I can see a small snippet of what it's apart. Otherwise Notepad++'s recursive search is better as it also includes a small snippet of text on either side of the searched phrase, because if there is more than one file that has the phrase I am looking for, that means I have to open each of those files to find out where they are and whether or not it's the right one....

Compare and synchronize seems to be pretty good for the most part. The only error I've come whilst comparing and syncing 3TB of data is this: Image: https://i.imgur.com/WM0dAKT.png

...and this recently:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/Uo7kSaP.png
Honestly not sure why that's flagged if they both have the same checksums.....maybe a glitch/bug?

But is better than using TeraCopy + Code Compare combo, since it doesn't seem to support long directory paths:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/7nXukU2.png

...and this:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/3HwdAFQ.png
...which is obviously a bug in TeraCopy, it sometimes can't seem to transfer lots of files in a very lengthy period of time, sometime it just crashes without error.....making you redo the transfer all over again....

Some more comments I would like to make:
+ Have more than two panels and or compare/synchronize section because I usually have one window for the source drive, and three other windows for the backup/copy drives where I copy/move the files into them for archival. For example something like this would be nice:
Image: https://i.imgur.com/xhsWKyp.png

Otherwise yes it's passable.....
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTCSo what if I want to have 6 backups of everything?
I have to compare each drive in couples and then compare one of each couples to another of a couple,
let that finish and then compare that couple to the last couples' drive and if they all match 100%
then that means I have perfect 1:1 copy for all 6 backups - however this method will take a long time,
especially if you have like 50TB or more of data to backup on 6 drive systems.
Perhaps there is aim to have the synchronize directories option to have more than two directories to compare and sync?
This is IMHO only possible after creating junctions and then with 1 click on a button in TC.

If you want to have a 1:1 copy for your backups, take a closer look at the "Asymmetric" option
in the synchronization window (press F1 for Help), because it could be used for such cases.
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC>259 characters: ... The only error I've come whilst comparing and syncing 3TB of data ... picture
That's not an error message, that's a hint(!) and can be switched off as follows:
wincmd.ini -> Section [Configuration]: LongNameCopy=1
F1 (Help) ... During file operations, warn if target name is longer than 259 characters: 1=never
See more options in Help.
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC... support long directory paths ...
The maximum total length of a path including file name in Total Commander is up to 1023 characters.
If >259 characters a warning is issued which can be switched off as shown above.
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC... Have more than two panels ...
Until it comes here perhaps to an implementation of suggestions, you can define source and target directories
in the menu "Commands" - "Directory Hotlist - Ctrl+D".
audreyspency

Post by *audreyspency »

since its the best, every apparatus has its own extraordinary highlights, TC has them all, it rivals every one of them together not simply with one.

what's more, its the quickest to work (easy routes and so on) only an incredible story is ,quite a while back I worked at Microsoft, and they were against purchasing any product, you can utilize Microsoft programming obviously, however its exceptionally difficult to persuade them to purchase something different.

I obviously cant work with some other device, as I work with Total authority since the good 'ol days (much before the name change - yes I generally confound and call it windows administrator) .

I couldn't persuade the IT folks to give me a chance to get it, toward the end I move them to a challenge , the IT fellow VS myself, with certain record the executives undertakings, he with Microsoft instruments, I with all out administrator , obviously after 1 min , when I was going to complete every one of the 10 assignments and he was still in the second, he surrendered and favor my buy, If I review it was 30 licenses for my group....

Suspected postings, even copying other posts. Probably to prepare for spamming? > User is banned now.
Thanks to Member tuska, and all other who had helped before.

Please help us and report such post (see the [!] button) if you find them on browsing the forum, thanks.

[MTAG]
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

audreyspency wrote: 2019-03-05, 16:21 UTC since its the best, every apparatus has its own extraordinary highlights, TC has them all, it rivals every one of them together not simply with one.

what's more, its the quickest to work (easy routes and so on) only an incredible story is ,quite a while back I worked at Microsoft, and they were against purchasing any product, you can utilize Microsoft programming obviously, however its exceptionally difficult to persuade them to purchase something different.

I obviously cant work with some other device, as I work with Total authority since the good 'ol days (much before the name change - yes I generally confound and call it windows administrator) .

I couldn't persuade the IT folks to give me a chance to get it, toward the end I move them to a challenge , the IT fellow VS myself, with certain record the executives undertakings, he with Microsoft instruments, I with all out administrator , obviously after 1 min , when I was going to complete every one of the 10 assignments and he was still in the second, he surrendered and favor my buy, If I review it was 30 licenses for my group....
I am sure that this text is SPAM because it is very similar to this post above of nirmelamoud:
viewtopic.php?p=349997#p349997

Here is one more article of audreyspency:
Total Commander (Français): viewtopic.php?p=352364#p352364
nirmelamoud

Post by *nirmelamoud »

My posting is real, this new one really looks like SPAM , strange one too...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

nirmelamoud wrote: 2019-03-05, 18:47 UTC My posting is real, this new one really looks like SPAM , strange one too...
Yup, don't worry. As admin in other forums, i've seen that behaviour too (straight copy-paste of another user's post, or perhaps changing a few words). The result (as happened here) is the ban of the user, either because it's probably some kind of test of the forum for some type of attack, or because the user is trolling/messing up the forum.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2wanderer
Copy paste in the first message is a moderation test used by spammers. Automatic spam filters or moderation tools (if any exist) usually alllow such messages, only living moderators can block such off-topics effectively.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Usher,
only living moderators can block such off-topics effectively
Undead moderators can as well, even though less efficiently, anyways... braainzzz
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
TotalCommander?

tuska wrote: 2019-03-05, 15:19 UTC
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTCSo what if I want to have 6 backups of everything?
I have to compare each drive in couples and then compare one of each couples to another of a couple,
let that finish and then compare that couple to the last couples' drive and if they all match 100%
then that means I have perfect 1:1 copy for all 6 backups - however this method will take a long time,
especially if you have like 50TB or more of data to backup on 6 drive systems.
Perhaps there is aim to have the synchronize directories option to have more than two directories to compare and sync?
This is IMHO only possible after creating junctions and then with 1 click on a button in TC.
I don't understand this, can you please explain this more in detail for me? :?:
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC>259 characters: ... The only error I've come whilst comparing and syncing 3TB of data ... picture
That's not an error message, that's a hint(!) and can be switched off as follows:
wincmd.ini -> Section [Configuration]: LongNameCopy=1
F1 (Help) ... During file operations, warn if target name is longer than 259 characters: 1=never
See more options in Help.
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC... support long directory paths ...
The maximum total length of a path including file name in Total Commander is up to 1023 characters.
If >259 characters a warning is issued which can be switched off as shown above.
Oh it's just a warning/hint and not an error! okay! :D
TotalCommander? wrote: 2019-03-04, 16:33 UTC... Have more than two panels ...
Until it comes here perhaps to an implementation of suggestions, you can define source and target directories
in the menu "Commands" - "Directory Hotlist - Ctrl+D".
Directory hotlist

The directory hotlist allows to quickly switch between multiple directories. The directory hotlist can be opened in three different ways:
1. Through the Commands menu.
2. By double clicking on the title bar of the file windows (display of the current path).
3. By pressing CTRL+D.

The displayed directory hotlist menu contains a list of previously added directories, plus two additional commands:
- Add/remove current dir: This option allows to add the currently displayed directory to the list, or to remove it, respectively.
- Configure: Opens a configuration dialog, which allows to sort the menu entries, and which allows to modify, add or remove entries. The dialog box is built like the dialog box to change the start menu.
I tried it out to see what it would do but get this error: https://i.imgur.com/HOobnZT.png

Also found out a file that has the same checksum but Total Commander's synchronize directory feature still think there are not 100% the same: https://i.imgur.com/nxEiAOn.png
wanderer wrote: 2019-03-06, 17:30 UTC
nirmelamoud wrote: 2019-03-05, 18:47 UTC My posting is real, this new one really looks like SPAM , strange one too...
Yup, don't worry. As admin in other forums, i've seen that behaviour too (straight copy-paste of another user's post, or perhaps changing a few words). The result (as happened here) is the ban of the user, either because it's probably some kind of test of the forum for some type of attack, or because the user is trolling/messing up the forum.
Hm, looks like google translate at it again...hahaha since whenever you translate anything from anything to another language, grammar and or spelling usually gets lost in translation and becomes a different meaning on the other end.....which may confuse the end recipient which would then translate that back via google translate which then becomes something else.... :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: