Truncate long path display in listbox

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MossMan

Truncate long path display in listbox

Post by *MossMan »

When I do a search across the network I often get results for files with long filenames buried deep in sub-sub-sub-sub directories of project folders. After doing the search I "feed to listbox" so I can browse the resulting files more easily.

The result is I get a window which is literally full of similar characters, without showing the filename (the useful bit!), and I have to hover over each line for tooltip information to locate the files I actually want...

I didn't see a setting to truncate the path in this situation - is there a way to do this?

What I see now:

[c:\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah..]

What I want to see:

[c:\blah\blah\..blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\filename1.ext]
[c:\blah\blah\..blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\filename2.ext]
[c:\blah\blah\..\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\blah\file3.ext]
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Truncate long path display in listbox

Post by *Dalai »

In case of very long paths you could switch to the vertical view via menu Show > Vertical Arrangement.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

MossMan wrote: 2019-01-09, 15:34 UTC I didn't see a setting to truncate the path in this situation - is there a way to do this?
In my opinion, no.

In contrast to the search result window, after clicking on "Feed to listbox" or Shift + click on "Feed to listbox"
the scroll arrow does not appear, e.g. under tab "Search result:".

At the moment, I believe the following points could improve the current situation for you:
- Search in separate process... Alt+Shift+F7 -> already perform checks in a separate search result window
- Button with command: cm_VerticalPanels,cm_100Percent; option: em_command and shortcut
  [see also: viewtopic.php?p=337141#337141 cm_100percent: moving the split between the two panels]
- Button with command: cm_VerticalPanels,cm_50Percent; option: em_command and shortcut
- Maximize/restore TC => F11 => AutoHotkey script: viewtopic.php?t=50278
- [Option: Button with command: cm_VisButtonbar2 ->Show/hide vertical button bar]
- [Option: Button with command: cm_CopyNetNamesToClip -> Copy names with UNC path -> and paste into editor]

In TC I would also like to see an improvement regarding this topic.

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.253)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4OGHz, 16 GB RAM
TC 9.21a x64/x86 | Everything - Version 1.4.1.926 (x64)
Last edited by tuska on 2019-01-09, 17:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
jberry910

Post by *jberry910 »

I use the nicepaths content plugin to create a custom column view with a truncated path.

I think it can be found here, but I was unable to test because www.totalcmd.net is down at the moment.
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/nicepaths.html
Joe
Central Illinois, USA
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

You can create a own "Custom columns" view (like Name Ext Size Date) to switch to after feed to listbox.

[Search] the help: "Dialog box: Custom columns"
Field Contents
The syntax is the following (similar to the multi-rename tool): [=pluginname.fieldname.unit]
[=pluginname.fieldname.unit:4-7] >> Same as above, but for partial strings (here: letters 4-7).
See there pluginname 'tc' for needed/wanted columns and
see [Index] of help for "multi-rename tool" to read info about that ":4-7"-syntax.