Folder date auto change problem

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

giagor

Folder date auto change problem

Post by *giagor »

I just realize that every time when I open some Word document, Excel spreadsheet, AutoCAD drawing, date of creation of folder changed to actual date and time.

It doesn't happened when I open images, txt documents, PDF.

I am using Windows 10 64bit, TC 9.21a 64bit.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Folder date auto change problem

Post by *Stefan2 »

Probably because of the meta data such programs store in the files.
If you open a excel file, the timestamp of that file is changed to current,
if you close without modification, the timestamp is set back.
But maybe you or something else modified something ?

sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Stefan2 wrote:If you open a excel file, the timestamp of that file is changed to current,
if you close without modification, the timestamp is set back.
In addition it is a "feature" of the NTFS filesystem to set the date of folder to current, if a file is changed there.

In case of of Excel, Word, ... the file date changes for a short while ==> folder date is changed to current time by NTFS
In case of others the file date remains unchanged ==> folder date remains unchanged.
#5767 Personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

The reason is simple: MS Office creates a temporary file in the directory the document is located in. Just open a document and switch back to TC while the document is open. AutoCAD might behave the same, but since I don't know it I can't say anything about it.

The temporary file is deleted once the document is closed. Any delete operation updates the directory timestamp, which is normal NTFS behavior.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
obeg

Post by *obeg »

Just as Dalai says, it is a temporary file causing this behaviour. The file is hidden and by default Windows doesn't show these files.

In Explorer they can be seen by changing "Folder Options" and select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
(last "," is a spelling error from Windows and not from me :-) )

In Total Commander they are enabled in the Configuration, Display tab => "Show hidden files"

For MS Office files, the hidden filenames start with ~$ and if you view them in lister you will see that they contain information about which user that have it open.

br /ola