Slow directory reading

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Re: Slow directory reading

Post by *Hacker »

makinero,
Nice oven
Well, if 50 °C is OK I hope it will survive 53 °C.

AntonDudarenko,
Maybe - by analogy with the above-mentioned self-written program(showfrag) from the author - he should write a test utility for scanning the selected "point" from the file system structure with measurement of the time spent? Using the same functions/approaches/techniques as Total Commander usually does. And so we can immediately find a bottleneck?
Actually, good idea, I can try Process Monitor to see if there is some obvious bottleneck.

Usher,
This HDD is TOSHIBA MK5061GSYN, 500 GB, 7200 rpm
You're right! It is so slow I thought it must be a 5400 RPM drive.
It's most likely Advanced Format HDD (with 4 KB sectors) running in 512 byte sector emulation mode (partitions are misaligned).
How would I check and correct this? What are the consequences? Any good links to read more about the issue?
Thank you.

jjk,
And what with an older TC version ?
It's been like this for years but now I thought why not ask and check, perhaps there is some simple solution I have overlooked.
I can try with an older TC version.

Thanks
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Slow directory reading

Post by *Dalai »

Hacker wrote: 2019-03-21, 22:19 UTCWell, if 50 °C is OK I hope it will survive 53 °C.
I consider everything above 40°C not really OK but still tolerable (at least in the summer time) and everything above 45°C too hot for an HDD - at least when applied over a longer period of time.

But with a simple test you can find out if the temperature is an issue: Let it cool down, start it clean and check the performance when it's still below 40°C or something.
How would I check and correct this?
If you partitioned the drive with Windows 7 means (diskpart, Disk Management MMC snap-in), the chances are very high that the partitions are all aligned correctly. But, to make it easy, start msinfo32.exe and check in Components > Storage > Disks to see the partitons. If the first partition starts at offset 1024 KB it's aligned correctly. Generally, if a partition's starting offset can be divided by 1024 it's correctly aligned. DiskPart can also be used: Open CMD, diskpart.exe, enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

list disk
select disk 0
list partition
exit
Replace 0 with whatever number you need if you have multiple disks connected. IIRC there are also other tools that can help to check the alignment, but I don't use any of them.

Maybe also check this SuperUser thread.
What are the consequences?
Well, if a partition is not aligned correctly on a 512e disk (4K internally with 512 Byte emulation towards the controller, which are pretty much the majority of todays disks) the write performance would be pretty low because it would need to read multiple sectors first before writing new data. Read performance would be pretty normal AFAIK.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror