[Solved] 'Synchronize directories' from user's root does not see OneDrive's contents.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

OldNorton

[Solved] 'Synchronize directories' from user's root does not see OneDrive's contents.

Post by *OldNorton »

TC's 'Syncronize directories' feature for my 'C:\Users\user' seems to work as expected at first sight, but as it turns out for some reason it does not see the 'C:\Users\user\OneDrive' directory.

On the other hand, as soon as I place 'C:\Users\user\OneDrive' on the left side of 'Syncronize directories' then TC sees the contents of this directory. After that, doing a 'Compare' having 'C:\Users\user' on the left side it does not see the '~\OneDrive\' directory again. This is a bit of an issue because it means that in order to mirror the entire root directory for my user alias, first I need to mirror de '~\OneDrive\' folder to a separate location or else sync'ing from 'c:\Users\user' would delete all the OneDrive items because TC does not seem to 'see' that directory from the user's root.

TC 64 bit on Win10 with the latest update and the OneDrive contents are all set to be stored locally.
Last edited by OldNorton on 2019-06-07, 00:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OldNorton

Re: 'Synchronize directories' from user's root does not see OneDrive's contents.

Post by *OldNorton »

Solved! :-)

The issue described above happens because of a setting on the Microsoft OneDrive app. Under the 'Settings tab', in section 'Files on Demand' one must un-select the box named 'Save space and download files as you use them'. This will download all your OneDrive files to your computer to be available locally--offline--at all times with the added effect of the user being able to synchronize those files to a different directory. After a cursory online search it seems that this has been an issue for several pieces of backup software.