Do something with the results of matching directories

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

avinatbezeq

Do something with the results of matching directories

Post by *avinatbezeq »

Have been uses the great product for ages - good work!

When synchronizing directories, after comparing X and Y, I get all files that are in X and not in Y, all files that are identical, all files that are in Y and not in X, and all files that are different.

This is great. However, how can I do something with the files (except for synchronizing the dirs)?

The issue is that I suspect that there are many files in Y which have no match in X, but which have duplicates in Y that do have matches in X. For example the file t.txt may be in X\A\t.txt and in both Y\A\t.txt and Y\B\t.txt. So I would like to delete all files in Y that have no match in X PROVIDED they have a copy in Y that DOES have a match in X.

The only way I could figure out to do this is move all such Y\B\t.txt files into Y\MaybeDup\B\t.txt (but leave Y\A\t.txt alone, as it has an identical file in X\A\t.txt). Then I would run Duplicates Finder Pro on Y, and I'd know that all files that are marked as duplicates under Y\MaybeDup can be safely deleted as they have duplicates that have matches in X. (Specifically, I'd be able to remove Y\B\t.txt as in has a match Y\A\t.txt that has, in turn, a match in X\A\t.txt).

I hope I haven't too much complicated what I need: Move the tree of all files that are in Y and not in X to somewhere else, preserving the tree structure.
marlar

Re: Do something with the results of matching directories

Post by *marlar »

I don't fully understand what you want to do, but when you synchronize after comparing you can always specify a new destination. Then files will be synced correctly without touching the original folders.