Many compare results but 0 differences

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

c2walter

Many compare results but 0 differences

Post by *c2walter »

Hello,

I am comparing two (2) directories that I know have some differences. I click on the "By content" and "ignore dates" and click on "Compare". I get a ton of items in RED.

However, when I right-click on one individual item and "Compare left & right" it tells me the "0 differences found". This is whether all of the checkbox on the "Compare" screen are checked or not.

So why is it in the list in the first place? I think I am missing something but I am not expecting it there.

Thank you for your assistance.

Charly
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Many compare results but 0 differences

Post by *Dalai »

That's probably because of a difference in linebreaks, e.g. Windows (CRLF) vs. Linux (LF). Try checking Binary in the Compare window and take a look at the hex codes: 0D 0A is the hex representation for CRLF, 0A is LF. Or use a good editor like Notepad++ and check the linebreaks there.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

"0 differences found" means that no differences were found with the chosen compare options. For example, if you choose to ignore repreated spaces, the following two strings will be detected as equal and not listed as a difference:

Code: Select all

"a b"
"a           b"
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
c2walter

Post by *c2walter »

Thank you for the responses.

However, it does not relate to my issue.

I have two directories. I go to Synchronize to compare the two. I have all the check boxes on the left checked except the Asymetric check box.

A large list of files show up. They have different dates which I checked of to ignore. However, the sizes are indeed different. On any specific file, I click Ctrl-F3 to compare them and the dialog box comes up with zero-difference found.

Visually they look the same except when I click on the Binary check box. There is see that one pane has 0D & OA while the other has only 0A. I presume that we are talking about line feeds and carriage return characters which are produced in different environments.

Now that I understand the why, I need a way to resolve this as it is giving, to me at least, many false positives in the Synchronize process.

Assistance will be appreciated.