Search in Cyrillic inside 1251-encoded files - no results

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

chipson

Search in Cyrillic inside 1251-encoded files - no results

Post by *chipson »

Hi all,

Already tried to find a solution here, but it looks like either no one has faced the same problem, or it was not described the same way. I have a php project developed by somebody else in Windows1251 encoded files and these files include Cyrillic (Bulgarian). The problem is that when I try searching inside these files for anything in Cyrillic/Bulgarian, there are no results no matter which charsets and encodings I try checking in the search window (Alt+F7). There are 2-3 files in the same project encoded in UTF-8 and also containing Cyrillic text and when I try searching for a text from these files, there are correct results. So, the question is how can I search in another language inside files with specific (non-UTF) encoding? Does it only depend on the combination of text language and file encoding, or does it also depend on the current operating system encoding/language? I am on Windows 10 with English set as display language and Bulgaria set as Region, but it should actually work in English/Unicode mode for any applications.

ThHanks in advance!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Search in Cyrillic inside 1251-encoded files - no results

Post by *MVV »

Well, TC can only search for UTF-8, UTF-16 and default character set that is set for non-Unicode programs in your Windows Regional settings. Any text in another encoding should be converted to your default character set first. Also you can search for hex bytes that represent text in target encoding (save desired text string into a text file in target encoding and get its hex contents).
Vasilich

Re: Search in Cyrillic inside 1251-encoded files - no results

Post by *Vasilich »

you can set the language for non-unicode programs in windows to bulgarian and try to search again.