TC 9.22a 64-bit under wine64 on macOS 10.15 Catalina

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GeroZ

TC 9.22a 64-bit under wine64 on macOS 10.15 Catalina

Post by *GeroZ »

I hope that this is not a duplicate question, but searching for „64-bit“ brought me lots of results, but nothing really useful – so I searched for „Catalina“ and didn‘t find anything, so I guess it‘s new.

Here goes: I‘m a Mac user, and ever so often I rely on TC running under wine, which works really nicely. However, Apple has decided to remove support for 32-bit executables in their latest update of macOS 10.15 „Catalina“. As a result, neither native macOS 32-bit applications will run, nor 32-bit Windows executables under wine.

There is indeed a 64-bit wine, i.e. wine64, which is able to run native 64-bit Windows applications … let‘s say, it‘s as limited as wine32 with 32-bit Windows applications, but that‘s to be expected from wine, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Running wine64 on macOS 10.14 Mojave, it‘ll mimic a 64-bit Windows, and TC 9.22a 64-bit installs and works just fine.
Doing the same thing with wine64 on macOS 10.15 Catalina, not so much unfortunately. The installer works fine, but ultimately, TC won‘t come up.

I assume that TC tries to access some 32-bit library during its program launch. In wine64 on Mojave, this works just fine, as wine64 can run 32-bit executable code. In wine64 on Catalina, running any kind of 32-bit executable simply fails. … When I use the unregistered version, TC hangs on the welcome dialog, although it doesn‘t display the three buttons. If I try to run the registered version (with my key file in place), I don‘t see anything, but I have to kill the hanging wine64-preloader process.

Unfortunately, I have no means to figure out where exactly TC hangs during its stattup. Is there some kind of log mechanism in place so I could help figuring out what needs to be done to make it work? As I said, the 64-bit version seems to run nicely in wine64 once it has come up, which works fine with Mojave, bu not with Catalina.

Thanks a lot in advance! Let me know if I can help, if necessary with beta versions as well.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 9.22a 64-bit under wine64 on macOS 10.15 Catalina

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, TC does not run any 32-bit code - calling 32-bit code directly from 64-bit isn't possible anyway. To do this, TC runs TCMDX32.EXE and communicates with it. You can safely delete this program.

Try running the wine executable with totalcmd.64.exe as a parameter from a command line. Wine usually complains when functions are called which are not supported.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com