Problem: Search window takes 4 seconds to open

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

konste

Problem: Search window takes 4 seconds to open

Post by *konste »

I observe the search window (Alt+F7) take 4 seconds from keypress to the window to appear. Wonder what may cause that and how to troubleshoot. Version 9.22a on Windows 64 bit.

I already ruled out the antivirus (Sophos) by turning it off. Also tried to start like this "TOTALCMD64.EXE /n /I=.\fresh.ini" to run with the new and empty configuration file. Still the problem persists.

Took a ProcMon trace during the search window opening time (can share it) and it shows for TOTALCMD64.EXE process some activity, then Thread Exit, then about 1.5 sec pause when the process does not access anything, then some extensive .ini file reading, Thread Create and another 1.5 sec pause, then the window appears. Those two pauses are the problem and I cannot figure out what causes them.

Is there a way to make Total Commander produce some kind of debug trace maybe?

Thank you!
Konstantin
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem: Search window takes 4 seconds to open

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe the "Everything" option is checked? Search waits a few seconds for it if it's checked but doesn't respond or reports that it's busy.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
konste

Re: Problem: Search window takes 4 seconds to open

Post by *konste »

"Everything" is checked, but I have tried to uncheck it and there was no noticeable improvement.