The strangest TC's feature - hide extension column ...why do we have this?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

genaro

The strangest TC's feature - hide extension column ...why do we have this?

Post by *genaro »

https://imgur.com/a/bDS1UdD
I'm searching google to understand why do we have to see the extension column when we don't use it and don't sort files by extension. Those of us who don't do it obviously. It turns out that this is a principled decision and I don't understand.
The reason why I implemented it this way was that I wanted to prevent people from creating views with e.g. just the file size. This would be very confusing, and you could accidentally delete important files. Of course it would be useful to replace these fields by your own, but I couldn't find a method which is both safe and powerful. I would have to detect somehow that the user added a field equivalent to the name himself...
I just don't understand lol. If you deleted the important file, use a file recovery program. It is your problem that you did it, not mine. How does hiding this field make you delete important files at all?
No, the reason why the header is displayed is that you can SORT by extension by clicking on the header! Since the name is NOT cut where the ext column starts, there is no need to remove the header.
I don't even know what it means. I want to have less visual garbage on my screen. How does the fact that the name is not cut suppose to hinder this wish?
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Re: The strangest TC's feature - hide extension column ...why do we have this?

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Mr Ghisler is very delicate when it comes to the possibility of deleting something accidentally. Not only in this case, but generally. This is his decision and we should accept that. Personally I think that you have a point and that every user is responsible for his errors, but I am not the author of TC, so my opinion is not important.
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
genaro

Re: The strangest TC's feature - hide extension column ...why do we have this?

Post by *genaro »

Wilhelm M. wrote: 2020-01-27, 10:37 UTC I am not the author of TC, so my opinion is not important.
your opinion is important and valid. don't ever think that