Lost files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Cathrine

Lost files

Post by *Cathrine »

Dear team, Please help!
I was moving the files around and clicked on smth so the whole folder with bunch folders and mp3 files disappeared. I thought I've erased them, so I found a back to life plug in. It directed me to the network neighborhood-> erased. the strange part it's not showing that those folders are erased, however they are empty. How can I find the documents?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lost files

Post by *petermad »

If you have log file enabled ("Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Log file"), you can maybe there see what happened to your files, whether they were just moved or they were in fact erased.

You can also check in Windows' Recycle Bin for your files. You can open the Recucle Bin in TC with the command cm_OpenRecycled
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Cathrine wrote: 2020-04-30, 20:43 UTC Dear team, Please help!
I was moving the files around and clicked on smth so the whole folder with bunch folders and mp3 files disappeared. I thought I've erased them, so I found a back to life plug in. It directed me to the network neighborhood-> erased. the strange part it's not showing that those folders are erased, however they are empty. How can I find the documents?
First check log file as petermad advised to know the operation you did.
Second adapt from the source local HD, usb, nas, regular share,... the recovery method if needed. But if you did some file manipulation afterward, usually it is already too late.. unless you just moved files or have backup...

For local drive: old plugins working in FAT drive are outdated and most ntfs stuff can fail if you enable bitlocker.. (I've used in th past lazesoft recovery)
For usb: you can use recuva or any soft
for remote access the best is to go the remote computer
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Try Menu "Show >> All Files"