Run Malwarebytes Scan on selected file/folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ndn

Run Malwarebytes Scan on selected file/folder

Post by *ndn »

Hi Team,

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have Malwarebytes installed. When I select a file in Total Commander I can right mouse\Scan with Malwarebytes. How do I assign key command to do this.

Thank you for any help.

Cheers
Ian
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Run Malwarebytes Scan on selected file/folder

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi Ian,
ndn wrote: 2020-05-03, 04:28 UTC ..
I have Malwarebytes installed. When I select a file in Total Commander I can right mouse\Scan with Malwarebytes.

How do I assign key command to do this.

Read Malwarebytes help if it supports to run such action as command line command.
Next try that command with in a black cmd.exe window.
Once you know how that work, create a Total Commander UserDefinedCommando with that found out command.
To that UDC you can assign in next step a keyboard shortcut.

TC will support you by providing Parameters to pass current File, FileS or FolderS, Target path and more to an external script or application.
Open the help, search for "Button" to find "Dialog box: Configuration - Change button bar"
(((Or click "Operations > Menus > Menu: Configuration > Change Button Bar > Configuration - Change button bar.")))
There you can find parameters to pass to the other application, like
%P > the source path to be inserted into the command line, including a backslash (\) at the end.
%N > places the filename under the cursor into the command line.
%S > insert the names of all selected files into the command line.
%L, %F and more > create a list file with the names of the selected files and directories.

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

If you do not have a command line application, you can try to find how it is done from thwe context menu:
you shoukd explore with regedit:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell
--for folder --
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If you want a cleaner view, you can use ShellMenuView and or ShellExView from NirSoft selecting type context menu.
But the best is to ask to MalwareByte user forum or support.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ndn wrote: 2020-05-03, 04:28 UTCHow do I assign key command to do this.
Well, the simplest way is to use the existing Shift+F10 to open the context menu and then select the Malwarebytes entry from it. If you want a dedicated hotkey for it, see the posts above.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ndn

Post by *ndn »

Thank you for your replies. From Malwarebytes forum I received:

"The Home/Consumer version of Malwarebytes (Free or Premium) does NOT have any Command Line Interface (CLI) ability."

"The "Scan with Malwarebytes" option is included in the Windows Explorer contextual menu. Total Commander probably have their own implementation of that contextual menu, which probably doesn't support Malwarebytes.

Just to make sure, under Settings, make sure that Contextual menu option in Windows Explorer is set to Enabled. If it is and it doesn't show up, it should be Total Commander's job to add this feature, not Malwarebytes."

Any suggestions?

How would I proceed with nsp's registry advice?

Cheers
Ian
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi Ian,
ndn wrote: 2020-05-04, 01:33 UTC Thank you for your replies. From Malwarebytes forum I received:

...., it should be Total Commander's job to add this feature, not Malwarebytes."

Any suggestions?
What suggestions?
Apparently that feature works already in TCs context menu:
ndn wrote: 2020-05-03, 04:28 UTC ...
When I select a file in Total Commander I can right mouse\Scan with Malwarebytes. How do I assign key command to do this.

Maybe an way for you would be Dalai suggestion to use Shift+F10 followed by pressing first letter of the Malwarebyte context menu entry?

# # #

ndn wrote: 2020-05-04, 01:33 UTC How would I proceed with nsp's registry advice?
Because such ContextMenuHandlers are based on DLLs (or handled inside of the application itself) I see no easy way of abuse this functions for command line usage.
Me think you have to know the functions name to call them directly via some WindowsTM API calls (thinking on "Rundll32.exe" or AHKs DllCall() )

Maybe 2nsp can bring some light in here?

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ndn
Well, does the Malwarebytes context menu item show up? If so, you can just use it. If not, you may need to rename totalcmd.exe (or totalcmd64.exe) to Explorer.exe and try again. It sounds silly, but there are instances where this worked and suddenly missing items showed up. This is especially true for anti-virus software, but I don't remember if Malwarebytes was one of them where it worked. Maybe search the forum for "symantec" or "norton" in conjunction with "context menu" and/or "Explorer.exe" or similar.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Dalai wrote: 2020-05-04, 15:27 UTC 2ndn
Well, does the Malwarebytes context menu item show up? If so, you can just use it. If not, you may need to rename totalcmd.exe (or totalcmd64.exe) to Explorer.exe and try again. It sounds silly, but there are instances where this worked and suddenly missing items showed up. This is especially true for anti-virus software, but I don't remember if Malwarebytes was one of them where it worked. Maybe search the forum for "symantec" or "norton" in conjunction with "context menu" and/or "Explorer.exe" or similar.

Regards
Dalai
This behaviour was with Bitdefender, I had a renamed copy of TC to get the context menu.
I moved to Kaspersky which has no such problems and costs me only €10 a year (thru Web.de membership)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
Well, does the Malwarebytes context menu item show up
I use Malwarebyte - and here by me "Scan with Malwarebytes" is present in the context menu in 64bit TC bit TC and in the x64 submenu to the context menu in 32bit TC.

I have find no way of using either mbam.exe or the shell extension mbshlext.dll (with rundll32) as a command line utility - I guess you have to get the Business version of Malwarebytes to have that possibility.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ndn

Post by *ndn »

Hi Team,

Thank you for your suggestions.

With a file selected in Total Commander, Shift+F10 produces the same as long right mouse. I can then use mouse to select Scan with Malwarebytes. No letter works to select Malwarebytes.

With all the amazing shorcuts and commands in Total Commander I was just hoping to do this with one keypress? :wink:

Cheers
Ian
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ndn,
Well, yes, but MalwareBytes would have to support it, which it does not. Of course you could script the shortcut with AHK or so.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ndn

Post by *ndn »

Hi Roman,

Thank you for the suggestion re AHK. I have it installed but as yet I haven't been able to to open the context menu (and then select the Malwarebytes entry from it) using:

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#SingleInstance force
;#IfWinActive
^!j::
SendInput, +{F10}
return
Cheers
Ian
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ndn,
Let's make it simple for testing

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
	Send, {AppsKey}
Return
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ndn

Post by *ndn »

Hi Roman,

Your suggested script does the same as mine . The selected file shows highlighted for a fraction of a second. I dont know how to cause this to open the context menu to then select any item (in my case Malwarebytes).

Cheers
Ian
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ndn,
Indeed, it seems the menu does not like modifiers (such as Ctrl, Alt, Shift or Win) to be pressed (or released). So you can either use some shortcut without modifiers:

F9::
	Send, {AppsKey}
Return
or wait with the menu invocation until after the modifiers are released:

KeyWait, Control
	KeyWait, Alt
	KeyWait, Shift
	KeyWait, LWin
	KeyWait, RWin
	Send, {AppsKey}
Return
HTH
Roman