Open multiple xml files from a search result

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Joostman

Open multiple xml files from a search result

Post by *Joostman »

I'm new to total commander, and used a very cool feature to search inside many (xml) files for a certain text pattern.
I have the results now (many files in many directories found) and my next step would be to edit those with my UltraEdit.

The problem however is that I see the files as searchresult (as mentioned, in many different sub-directories), but I don't see any option to open those all at once and neither the option to open them in UltraEdit.
I am able to open just one of them, although all are marked (red) by hitting the enter button, it only opens the last one marked (a square around it).

Is there another way to do this? (inside Ulta Edit I need/can replace some text items in the searchresults I found)

If there is not a way, is there way to get the search result inside a plain-text file, so that I can open all at once with for example the command line?
I tried this option with print, but as the path is very long, it just stops after a few characters instead of displaying the whole path and filename.

It does not work for me to send the search result to a zip file and have the files bundeled in a new file (copy), as at the end these files must be placed back / have to stay in the location I found them.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Open multiple xml files from a search result

Post by *Stefan2 »

Hi and welcome to the community.
Joostman wrote: 2020-05-15, 09:06 UTC . . . however is that I see the files as searchresult (as mentioned, in many different sub-directories),
but I don't see any option to open those all at once and neither the option to open them in UltraEdit.
. . .
When you see the search result, just use the button low right [Feed to listbox]
to do exactly that, then you have all the standard possibilities of TC from an file list.

HTH?
Joostman

Post by *Joostman »

This was exactly what I tried, I see the whole list, but still am not able to open all / multiple at the same time.
There are many options in the file menu, even to option to set xml to ultra edit, but not the option to open all/any of them.
As mentioned before, if I hit the enter button, it only opens one file (in ultra edit).
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

If you have no Context menu entry from UE to open all selected files,
you may have to enable that feature in UE under Settings » File handling » Advanced
(see https://www.ultraedit.com/wiki/Settings:File_associations)

Also you can just drag&drop the selected files to UE,
or you may want to create an button in TC like

Command: "D:\rive\path to\application\app.exe"
Parameters: <press [Help] to read more about %P%N or %S or "%F" TC-internal parameters, or search the forum or ask here for help>
<you may also have to read the documentation of the application in question how and IF it supports command line options>
Start path: <empty>
Icon file: WCMICONS.DLL or "D:\rive\path to\application\app.exe"
Tooltip: your text | line break

Instead you can create an "User defined command" which in turn you can use
as "Command:" in an button like above and also be able to assign an keyboard shortcut to.

Read more about in our collections of Q&A:
Deutsche FAQs >>> FAQs: Übersicht - Tipps & Tricks Sammlung >>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52423
English FAQs >>>>> FAQs: Summary - Tips & Tricks collection >>>>> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52425

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Joostman
Try to do as follows:
* Use "Feed to listbox" button.
* Go to the panel with "Search results:" list and press Ctrl+A to select all files.
* Right click any xml file (or press Shift+F10) and select proper option from the context menu:
— "Open" - if UltraEdit is set as default program for xml files (works for me with Notepad).
— "Open with UltraEdit" or "Send to UltraEdit" - if you configured UltraEdit to add proper context menu items (works for me with Textpad).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Or drag and drop into an opened UltraEdit?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Joostman

Post by *Joostman »

The drag and drop option is a bit the easiest way. Did not know this!
The only limitation seems a certain amount of files. I think max 20 per time, otherwise there is no dragging option seen in the receiving program.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Joostman wrote: 2020-05-15, 13:28 UTC The drag and drop option is a bit the easiest way.
... or a Button with

Code: Select all

Parameter: %P%S
as already mentioned by Stefan2 above?

- Open selected file(s)   *)
- Open file under cursor (without marking)
- Note:
  If multiple selected files are dragged onto the button,
  then at Parameter: %P%S only the first file is opened.
*)
F1 - Help - 'Dialog box: Configuration: Change button bar' wrote:%S ... Please note the maximum command line length of 32767 characters.
In a test with EmEditor Pro Version 19.8.5, there were 215 xml files even with a total number of 32,939 characters
which could be opened simultaneously by clicking on the button. The number of characters also includes the path.

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1909 (OS build 18363.836) | TC 9.51 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Joostman
If you have a lot of files, you can save search result as a list and pass it to Ultraedit:
* Use "Feed to listbox" button.
* Go to the panel with "Search results:" list and press Ctrl+A to select all files.
* Use menu Mark > Save selection to file (for example to c:\temp\file_list.txt).
* Run from the command line:
uedit64 /f c:\temp\file_list.txt
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator