TC won't to copy Users folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rocky III

TC won't to copy Users folder

Post by *Rocky III »

I wanted to backup my c:\Users\ folder on other HDD but for some files and folders shows me: please remove write protection
On the end it can't copy paste 49 folders

Image: https://content.screencast.com/users/Skrenshot/folders/Jing/media/2c4c9e54-fb16-4c70-9f14-dc07a5af8f87/2020-05-20_0140.png

how to change this and normally to copy paste all what i wanted?
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC won't to copy Users folder

Post by *Gral »

You can try to run TC as a Administrator. Also you can try DiskInternals Reader file sytem plugin for access.
But most of these "directories" are reparse point - junction or symbolic links - not real directories.
For backup use proper software - simple copy as a backup works for WIndows XP or older.

BTW: for such a report use text, not screen capture. Just copy and paste, CTRL+C, CTRL+V
Rocky III

Post by *Rocky III »

TC is already running as Admin. Windows 10 doesn't allow copying personal data from user folder. I found that too late, I lost everything from Desktop because I thought TC has copy pasted.
I installed DiskInternals Reader but I don't have an idea how to use it. I don't see any changes in TC or any shortcut to run it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC is already running as Admin. Windows 10 doesn't allow copying personal data from user folder.
I cannot reproduce that. Which files exactly didn't work? For example, the registry files are locked and cannot be copied, but you would get an error message.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Rocky III

Post by *Rocky III »

In the first post, I post the link to the SS. All those folders can't be copy-pasted
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Rocky III wrote: 2020-06-26, 15:15 UTCIn the first post, I post the link to the SS. All those folders can't be copy-pasted
Your screenshot doesn't contain full list of all non-copied objects, but they are mostly junctions. They lead to other directories in the file system so if you want to copy their content in real you will make duplicates… That's why they are copy protected.

Go to TC menu Configuration -> Options -> Display settings and make sure you have the following options checked:
☑ Show hidden files   ☑ Show system files

Then go to Icons settings and make sure you have the following options checked:
☑ Show icons for special folders: Normal file system
☑ Show icons for special folders: &Virtual folders (e.g. Network)
☑ Show overlay i&cons, e.g. for links

Maybe you haven't noticed earlier that some items of the list in TC panel are described as <LNK> rather then <DIR>, but now you should clearly see overlay arrows displayed for junctions and other links. In general you should expect that:
  • "C:\Users\All Users" is a symlink to "C:\ProgramData" directory.
  • Subdirectories in "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft" are owned by SYSTEM, other users have no granted rights.
  • Other objects listed in "C:\Users\All Users\" are junctions.
  • All objects listed in "C:\Users\Default" are junctions.
  • Other objects which haven't fit on your screenshot are also junctions.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Rocky III

Post by *Rocky III »

"Maybe you haven't noticed earlier that some items of the list in TC panel are described as <LNK> rather then <DIR>"
No.

Did you try to copy-paste the completed folder "User" from Win10 on other partitions? You try it and you will get the same error as me.

"Your screenshot doesn't contain full list of all non-copied objects"
Many of those files can't be copy-pasted because it has to write protection (I don't know can I turn it off). But I didn't understand why it can't copy Desktop and similar folders which are important for backup. I can drag-drop from desktop to anywhere but when I want to copy from User folder it can't.