View only Active Drive in Tree View?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Re: View only Active Drive in Tree View?

Post by *Hacker »

Old Faithful,
This might be doable with the old style tree (Ctrl-F8) and wincmd.ini, [Configuration], OldStyleTree=2, however, not sure if the old style tree is what you want. Perhaps if you'd work with two TC instances side by side it might be usable (at least using the mouse).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Old Faithful
I very much agree with much of what you write.

I am afraid that what you want is currently not doable with separate Trees (Ctrl+Shift+F8), only with a tree in the file panel (Ctrl+F8), and unfortunately that tree is replaced by a file list every time a drive button is clicked.

So I guess all you can do is to propose thís as a future option in the TC suggestions (English) section.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

Sorry, but I've been away with personal issues for the last week or two and completely forgot about checking for new answers - I don't seem to be getting any notifications of new activity, will have to check that.
Hacker wrote: 2020-06-07, 20:21 UTC Old Faithful,
[...]Perhaps if you'd work with two TC instances side by side it might be usable (at least using the mouse).

Roman
You know what they say... Sometimes the answer is so obvious that you don't see it... Reminds me of the time I searched for my glasses for two hours only to find I had them on my nose ;-)

You can be sure I'll test that in the coming weeks, because that's indeed how Norton File Manager works!!! But it's so seamless (it even has buttons to change orientation should you prefer to work horizontally) that I'd simply double-click NFM twice and get both windows automatically filling the screen side-by side so I'd never even think those were two separate instances running ;-)

Thinking about it, the search feature in Norton File Manager does work like a third instance of File Manager, with the search results being just another way to presents files with a filter applied. That's how you could sort results just like you would a normal directory and even get to see where in the tree a particular search would be located by simply select the file from the list and selecting a different view mode. When searching for space hogs or files of a certain type, for example, I'd find that many would be located in the same folder and clean them out this way. Very much like how Everything works, actually.

petermad wrote: 2020-06-08, 01:22 UTC 2Old Faithful
I very much agree with much of what you write.

I am afraid that what you want is currently not doable with separate Trees (Ctrl+Shift+F8), only with a tree in the file panel (Ctrl+F8), and unfortunately that tree is replaced by a file list every time a drive button is clicked.

So I guess all you can do is to propose this as a future option in the TC suggestions (English) section.
That would be great if that would be possible, in the meantime I'll try Hacker's suggestion, it may well be all I really need ;-)

As for Norton File Manager, I'm surprised there are so few aficionados of this great File Manager left anymore - It was truly great and with Norton Utilities, it had amazing enhancements like redating files right from the properties page (similar to the ReDate add-on but more powerful) and the Undelete feature was simply amazing (although I realize in-situ Undelete was rendered useless with the advent of NTFS)
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

Hacker wrote: 2020-06-07, 20:21 UTC Old Faithful,
This might be doable with the old style tree (Ctrl-F8) and wincmd.ini, [Configuration], OldStyleTree=2, however, not sure if the old style tree is what you want. Perhaps if you'd work with two TC instances side by side it might be usable (at least using the mouse).

Roman
When I use OldStyleTree=2 and the two panels with each tree and list, the [Ctrl][F8] only acts on the LIST portion of the panel (which becomes a pure tree of that drive, yeay!), but it doesn't work where it should, on the tree side!!!

I also tried two TC instances with one panel (tree and list) by switching between the three modes using [Shift][Ctrl][F8] and then was able to get the tree to actually work as designed, by applying Tree view to the Tree (Left) side and Full view to the List (Right) side, but to work correctly it requires Autotreechange=1 and one MUST use the drive combo box from the List (Right) side. If the drive is selected from the Tree (Left) side, the whole thing breaks apart (It changes to Full View) and it gets totally disconnected from the List. To fix this, the same drive as on the List must be selected back on the Tree side and then the Tree view [Ctrl][F8] applied to it again.

As you see, it's quite involved and it has drawbacks, such as the inability for the second instance to have a different tab set (what a great feature!)

When I get some more time I'll take some screen grabs and post them to show what I mean - In the meantime I hope my explanations aren't too difficult to understand.

TC is wonderful, but it's been quite a challenge to try migrating to it!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Old Faithful,
To fix this, the same drive as on the List must be selected back on the Tree side and then the Tree view [Ctrl][F8] applied to it again.
Nah, just leave the left side alone, and only use the Tree overlay that is projected onto the left side. You must understand that with Ctrl-F8 active it's the side with the Full view that controls what is shown on both sides. When you select a drive on the left side you tell TC "I don't want to see the tree view of the right side anymore, show me Full view of this drive I just clicked".
the inability for the second instance to have a different tab set
I am sure that could be done by using a different .INI or by redirecting the Tab section of the .INI.
If you have a specific way of using it in your mind which you want to achieve it might not always be easy, that's true.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Old Faithful

Post by *Old Faithful »

Hacker wrote: 2020-06-21, 14:21 UTC Old Faithful,
To fix this, the same drive as on the List must be selected back on the Tree side and then the Tree view [Ctrl][F8] applied to it again.
Nah, just leave the left side alone, and only use the Tree overlay that is projected onto the left side. You must understand that with Ctrl-F8 active it's the side with the Full view that controls what is shown on both sides. When you select a drive on the left side you tell TC "I don't want to see the tree view of the right side anymore, show me Full view of this drive I just clicked".
Yeah, I gathered ;-) It's just that wish I could simply disable the left side (Tree) view changes altogether so as to avoid this weird behaviour (interfering with Tree view of the list). For now I ignore the drive bar / combo box controls from the Tree view...

Here's how it looks like after spending most of the night tweaking TC :-o

https://mega.nz/file/bscXSIRK#TUjgQcP740zYlDE8mCTt8v2-hHiNfj_4kqsNMePrzOc

the inability for the second instance to have a different tab set
I am sure that could be done by using a different .INI or by redirecting the Tab section of the .INI.
Yeah, I remember seeing something to that effect in Ultra TC Configuration Editor late last night (what a great utility, should have been sleeping instead, hahaha!)

If you have a specific way of using it in your mind which you want to achieve it might not always be easy, that's true.

HTH
Roman
TC is very powerful, indeed. It already does way more than Norton File Manager does (the tabs, directory hotlist, eye saving dark mode are wonderful), it's just that many of its features are idiosyncratic or require workarounds that need getting used to... For someone coming from a very different file manager, of course ;-)

BUT if I could get what I showed above in two instances in the single instance mode with two panels, each consisting of one tree and one list, but with the tree limited to the active drive only (as the configuration option OldStyleTree=2 which is supposed to show expandable tree for the current drive only), it would be wonderful to me. In other words, if that option could apply to the actual tree linked to the list of that view mode (like https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/2separatetrees.png), it would be great :-)

Thanks again for your encouragements - I got to get some work done now!!!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Old Faithful,
So, basically, all you'd need is an option for the separate trees to show the current drive only.

Roman