Find files fast using locate

English support forum

Moderators: sheep, Hacker, Stefan2, white

User avatar
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 326
Joined: 2005-03-31, 19:58 UTC
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

Post by *gbo »

van Dusen wrote:I really like to know, why Locate could be preferable
Hi,

I won't tell you which is preferable I guess it is up to you to decide but here is my feedback.

First of all I didn't know the plugin DiskDirExtended so thank for pointing it out. I tried it and IMO it could replace locate although I still have a preference for Locate here are the main reasons

PROS
- Straighforward installation
- Integration in the taskbar (handy)
- Ease to use
- One click to index all your local drive
- Lots of options
- Last update 23.1.2005

CONS
- No help file
- Not as good integration with TC that DiskDirExtended
- No archive searching (zip, rar) (I don't need this feature personally but it can be important to others)
- Only possible to index local drive (but I am not sure here, someone could confirm?)

Remarks :

As far as I noticed DiskDirExtended is not a search tool but more a 'filesystem fake/a list file with all selected files and directories generator' which can be used to quickly search through them.
Is it possible to create in one operation 'a filesystem' of all the local drive ? If not I will find it to be a major inconvenient compare to Locate IMPOV.

A feature I was hoping to find in DiskDirExtended would have been the ability to [Feed to listbox] after a search result but unfortunately it is not implemented or maybe this is not possible.

I am new on this topic so I probably forget/misunderstand some features.[/url]
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
Ithier
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: 2005-03-30, 14:13 UTC

Post by *Ithier »

I have discovered locate in this forum two or three days ago (thanks Horst.Epp), and I enjoyed it very much.
gbo wrote: - Not as good integration with TC that DiskDirExtended
True, but you can modify the locate options to open TC when you want to open a directory, just go to Options -> Settings -> Advaned -> Results -> Result list -> 'Use other program to open folders' and fill with "totalcmd.exe /O "%d" "
gbo wrote: - Only possible to index local drive (but I am not sure here, someone could confirm?)
You can add more databases in Options -> Settings -> Databases. When you create a new database, you can include "Check Local drives" or custom which allow to choose other drives (network)
You also have on auto-update option to update automatically the databases. I think it does not exist with DiskDirExtented, you have to do it manually.
User avatar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 3913
Joined: 2003-02-06, 17:36 UTC
Location: Germany

Post by *Horst.Epp »

van Dusen wrote:I gave Janne Huttunen's Locate a try and I like it too: nice tool!

But I wonder, what the advantages of Locate compared to DiskDirExtended packer plugin are:
  • Database update for local drives is fast with Loacate, but it isn't for network resources.
    Creation of a fresh DiskDirExtended archive ist fast for local drives, but takes a long time for network drives too.
  • DiskDirExtended handles files in archives, while Locate doesn't.
  • DiskDirExtended is due to its "nature" better integrated in TC, while Locate is an external tool.
Please don't flame due to my stupid question, I really like to know, why Locate could be preferable (so don't answer "simple solution: don't use Locate", please ;) )

Thanks in advance for any explanation!
1 Locate allows to combine searches by name and content
2. In the found list, locate allows all context operations for a file, DiskDir none
You can't even feed the results of a search in a diskdir archive into a listbox, only goto file is available
So you can't select multiple files find in a search and do something.
3. You can include seperate databases in a locate database, made by an
network admins for example.
4. Its integrated enough in TC. It shows up in folder context menu and opens folders from searchlist in TC.
5. Locate database can be updated, for CD archives for example
User avatar
van Dusen
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 683
Joined: 2004-09-16, 19:30 UTC
Location: Sinzig (Rhein), Germany

Post by *van Dusen »

2gbo and 2Horst.Epp,
many thanks for your remarks :) !

After one day more, I was using Locate, I'd like to contradict my own statement, that DiskDirExtended is as fast as Locate. Actually, the update of any "Locate" database is done much, much faster than creating new "DiskDirExtended" archives. For local drives, but especially for network resources! Sorry for my false assertion :oops: .

Above all, DiskDirExtended apparently has problems with bulky directory listings (combined with big archive files to be analyzed - drive backups in a RAR, for instance). If you open such a DiskDir archive, you get an "Access violation" error :evil:

Some operations, which are possible for (marked) entries of a DiskDirExtended archive (DiskDirExtended Pros):
* Copy: Marked files/dirs will be copied [hmmm... an adverb for german "physisch" is needed here :? ] to destination (opposed panel)
* List: Any lister plugin works on DiskDirExtended entries
* Search: You can use the familiar TC syntax

DiskDirExtended Cons:
* Search results can't be fed to listbox
* Slow creation of new archives
* Update/Refresh of existing archives even isn't possible (AFAIK)
* Apparently instable for some big archives
* Multiple archives has to be created, one per drive / resource


I dont' like miss Locate anymore, so thanks again!

Regards, van Dusen
User avatar
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 326
Joined: 2005-03-31, 19:58 UTC
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

Re: Find files fast using locate

Post by *gbo »

Horst.Epp wrote:
gbo wrote:
Horst.Epp wrote: ...
Do you know if it is possible to assign a shortcut to the command Open containing folder?
There are many options but unfortunately, no shortcuts.
But at least the "Open Containing Folder" is on the top of the context menu.
Just FYI I made a request to the author, about shortcuts, yesterday and here is his answer (quick reply 8) ) :

Thanks about information. I am now working with keyboard shortcuts feature
which makes possible to assign your own keys to commands (it still requires lots
of work).
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
User avatar
gbo
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 326
Joined: 2005-03-31, 19:58 UTC
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland)

Re: Find files fast using locate

Post by *gbo »

I am now working with keyboard shortcuts feature
which makes possible to assign your own keys to commands (it still requires lots
of work).
I recently received this email from Janne Huttunen (Locate's author), thanks to him :

---------
Hi

I temporarily added Ctrl+F key for "Open containing folder". You can download the latest from
http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/files/snapshots/locate32-2.99.5.5150.zip
---------

I tested it and it works perfectly, here is the way to install it :

1) Download the full version of Locate32 and install
2) Download the above links, unzip it and overwrite the files of the previous install by these ones (usually in C:\Program Files\Locate\)
3) Enjoy


PS Here are some information about development of locate (in the form of Question/Answer) sum up of email exchange:

GB - Do you have a mailing list to announce new release of your application?
JH - I usually submit information about new releases to Betanews (http://www.betanews.com/) and it allows such notifications for
registered users.

GB - Suggestion : what do you think about the possibility to index the system registery with locate32 ?
JH - Indexing system registry is interesting idea but I think it is easier to create own program for that.

GB - What are your plans concerning the future of locate32 (what is on our todo/wish list) ?
JH - Bigger things in todo list are those shortcuts, archive support, active updating (locate listens changes of file systems and modifies database) and possibly reading MFT directly. Furthrer, there is some minor fixes/ smaller features.
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
User avatar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 3913
Joined: 2003-02-06, 17:36 UTC
Location: Germany

Post by *Horst.Epp »

2gbo
Thanks for the info.
The program is one of the best tools I found.
The new "View Select Details" even shows owner column.
Post Reply