Hi,van Dusen wrote:I really like to know, why Locate could be preferable
I won't tell you which is preferable I guess it is up to you to decide but here is my feedback.
First of all I didn't know the plugin DiskDirExtended so thank for pointing it out. I tried it and IMO it could replace locate although I still have a preference for Locate here are the main reasons
- Straighforward installation
- Integration in the taskbar (handy)
- Ease to use
- One click to index all your local drive
- Lots of options
- Last update 23.1.2005
- No help file
- Not as good integration with TC that DiskDirExtended
- No archive searching (zip, rar) (I don't need this feature personally but it can be important to others)
- Only possible to index local drive (but I am not sure here, someone could confirm?)
As far as I noticed DiskDirExtended is not a search tool but more a 'filesystem fake/a list file with all selected files and directories generator' which can be used to quickly search through them.
Is it possible to create in one operation 'a filesystem' of all the local drive ? If not I will find it to be a major inconvenient compare to Locate IMPOV.
A feature I was hoping to find in DiskDirExtended would have been the ability to [Feed to listbox] after a search result but unfortunately it is not implemented or maybe this is not possible.
I am new on this topic so I probably forget/misunderstand some features.[/url]