How to preview videos, musics, etc without downloading in WEBDEV3.0 or FTP?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dzzhang

How to preview videos, musics, etc without downloading in WEBDEV3.0 or FTP?

Post by *dzzhang »

When I use WEBDEV 3.0 or FTP/SFTP to connect my server, it will download them first and then to play. And it failed to connect my .cue files to the .ape/.flac.
I mean, it is totally different to open files in webdev and ftp mode compared to the normal file explorer.
Is there some plugin to solve this?
Thank you in advance!
vdijken

Re: How to preview videos, musics, etc without downloading in WEBDEV3.0 or FTP?

Post by *vdijken »

Reads from a server are done by copying a file to a temporary directory op your PC. Cue files contain links to files in the same directory. So when you use a .cue file it is copied to your PC, but it misses the .ape or .flac files there because you did not copy them.
dzzhang

Post by *dzzhang »

vdijken wrote: 2020-08-30, 09:48 UTC Reads from a server are done by copying a file to a temporary directory op your PC. Cue files contain links to files in the same directory. So when you use a .cue file it is copied to your PC, but it misses the .ape or .flac files there because you did not copy them.
Yeah! I know the reason. But other webdev such as RaiDrive, they can preview videos or musics without copying them on PC first. I want to find something similar in total commander.
dzzhang

Post by *dzzhang »

up
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can bypass the plugin and mount the WebDAV server as a drive letter. This can be done also from within Total Commander:
Menu Net - Network connections.
In that dialog, just enter the URL of the WebDAV server including https or http prefix.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dzzhang

Post by *dzzhang »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-09-10, 19:24 UTC You can bypass the plugin and mount the WebDAV server as a drive letter. This can be done also from within Total Commander:
Menu Net - Network connections.
In that dialog, just enter the URL of the WebDAV server including https or http prefix.
In this way, the file transferred has a limit of 50mb, though it can be increased to 4gb by editting a registry subkey. This means you cannot open a file >4gb, so sad.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is unfortunately a Windows restriction, not Total Commander restriction.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dzzhang

Post by *dzzhang »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-09-13, 09:03 UTC This is unfortunately a Windows restriction, not Total Commander restriction.
Thus, I wonder how RaiDrive (webdav) can preview files without downloading them first and do not have a limit of 4gb.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

dzzhang wrote: 2020-09-13, 13:33 UTC Thus, I wonder how RaiDrive (webdav) can preview files without downloading them first and do not have a limit of 4gb.
I don't know RaiDrive, but either they have media player capabilities built into their client, so they can just download the meda data directly to their player component without writing the data to a local file system first.

Or, they wrote their own file system driver or something along those lines (possibly plus some other components, such as some system service). And instead of downloading files onto a "real" drive, their file system redirect (or whatever) downloads the file data at the moment the file is being accessed by whatever application (and it might also employ some caching strategies to improve performance and avoid repeat downloads of the same files).

If you want to know more, you might analyze the kind of files installed by the RaiDrive setup routine. This should give you some indications of how RaiDrive really works. Or ask the RaiDrive folks... ;-)
dzzhang

Post by *dzzhang »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-09-13, 15:11 UTC
dzzhang wrote: 2020-09-13, 13:33 UTC Thus, I wonder how RaiDrive (webdav) can preview files without downloading them first and do not have a limit of 4gb.
I don't know RaiDrive, but either they have media player capabilities built into their client, so they can just download the meda data directly to their player component without writing the data to a local file system first.

Or, they wrote their own file system driver or something along those lines (possibly plus some other components, such as some system service). And instead of downloading files onto a "real" drive, their file system redirect (or whatever) downloads the file data at the moment the file is being accessed by whatever application (and it might also employ some caching strategies to improve performance and avoid repeat downloads of the same files).

If you want to know more, you might analyze the kind of files installed by the RaiDrive setup routine. This should give you some indications of how RaiDrive really works. Or ask the RaiDrive folks... ;-)
Thank you! I think this is the answer. Hope the Webdav plugin can have similar functions in the future. >_<