how to stop treating xlsx files as zip files?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lanfengye

how to stop treating xlsx files as zip files?

Post by *lanfengye »

Now in totalcmd ,once you double-click a xlsx file,it will show the inner folder in the file as a zip file .
I don't like this way , how to make the excel to open it by double-click?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: how to stop treating xlsx files as zip files?

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Right mouse click and click on the first entry (which is the name of the file).
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Seems somehow your xlsx file association were broken (or not set up at all).
As Horst said, right-click, select 1st entry with either the file name or with the name "Open" in the context menu, chose to select a program from a list of installed programs, select Excel. And don't forget to check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" check, unless you like to repeat those steps every time you want to open an xlsx file...
lanfengye

Post by *lanfengye »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2020-09-04, 15:09 UTC Right mouse click and click on the first entry (which is the name of the file).
I know this way but it is not a good way ,everytime i have to do this ,so cumbersome
lanfengye

Post by *lanfengye »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-09-04, 15:19 UTC Seems somehow your xlsx file association were broken (or not set up at all).
As Horst said, right-click, select 1st entry with either the file name or with the name "Open" in the context menu, chose to select a program from a list of installed programs, select Excel. And don't forget to check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" check, unless you like to repeat those steps every time you want to open an xlsx file...
the xlsx file type association in my system is normal,when i click the first entry on the menu by rignt-click,there is no a window come out for the association selectiong , Excel will open the file directly.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

Hmm, TC has the ability to specify internal file associations. And it also can associate file extensions with plug-ins, such as packer plug-ins, that can lead to the effect you observed.

In TC, go into menu "Files" --> "Internal assocations..." and see whether you can see an entry there relating to xlsx.

If this does not reveal anything, go menu "Files" --> "Associate with...", expand the combobox list panel in the upper right corner of the "Associate" dialog and check whether xlsx is listed there.

If this still did not reveal anything, start TC with a fresh INI with default settings and check if the issue disappears when using default settings. To do so, use the command line parameter /i when starting TC:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD64.EXE /i=X:\Some\Path\tc_test.ini
(Replace X:\Some\Path with the path of a real folder of your choice where you want to put the test INI into. Also, depending on whether you use the 32-bit or 64-bit version of TC, either run totalcmd64.exe or totalcmd.exe)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2lanfengye
I know this way but it is not a good way ,everytime i have to do this ,so cumbersome
Use the "Open with..." option in right-click menu and then choose "Choose another app" and remember to check the box "Always use this app to open .xlsx files"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
lanfengye

Post by *lanfengye »

elgonzo wrote: 2020-09-05, 06:52 UTC Hmm, TC has the ability to specify internal file associations. And it also can associate file extensions with plug-ins, such as packer plug-ins, that can lead to the effect you observed.

In TC, go into menu "Files" --> "Internal assocations..." and see whether you can see an entry there relating to xlsx.

If this does not reveal anything, go menu "Files" --> "Associate with...", expand the combobox list panel in the upper right corner of the "Associate" dialog and check whether xlsx is listed there.

If this still did not reveal anything, start TC with a fresh INI with default settings and check if the issue disappears when using default settings. To do so, use the command line parameter /i when starting TC:

Code: Select all

TOTALCMD64.EXE /i=X:\Some\Path\tc_test.ini
(Replace X:\Some\Path with the path of a real folder of your choice where you want to put the test INI into. Also, depending on whether you use the 32-bit or 64-bit version of TC, either run totalcmd64.exe or totalcmd.exe)
Thankyou,you are great!
lanfengye

Post by *lanfengye »

petermad wrote: 2020-09-05, 11:44 UTC 2lanfengye
Use the "Open with..." option in right-click menu and then choose "Choose another app" and remember to check the box "Always use this app to open .xlsx files"
yes!I got it !!!thankyou!!!