Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Close temporary file with keyboard

Post by *Hurdet »

When I F4 edit a file in packed archive, I get MessageBox
"Click on Close when the temporary file can be deleted!"
"Close" "F2 Background"
Then to close, I have to use the mouse, the keyboard does not matter.
Do it is possible to use the keyboard to close this message?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Close temporary file with keyboard

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

How exactly do you get a messagebox with "Click on Close when the temporary file can be deleted!" and a dialog with "Close" "F2 background" ?

Because when i try to F4 edit a file within an archive (i tested and confirmed with 7z and zip archives), i get completely different dialogs:

1. Before editor is opened: "Do you really want to unpack ..." with Yes/No buttons.
2. After editing and saving the file: "The file ... has changed. Do you want to repack it ... ?" again only with Yes/No buttons.

Do you use packer plug-ins? I have no idea, but perhaps one of those packer plug-ins is responsible for the messagebox and dialog you are seeing.
Or do you use an old TC version? Perhaps the behavior of an old TC version is different from the current TC version...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It happens when using multiple document editors, because then TC cannot see when the editor closes.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Ah, okay. When selecting multiple files for editing, i can now see this message box.

You can use the keyboard to close this message box. Like with any other ordinary window/dialog/messagebox, it has to have the input focus to be able to receive keyboard input.

So, you first have to Alt+Tab from your editor/active application to TC (the messagebox is modal, and becomes active when trying to make TC the active window), or click with the mouse on TC's icon in the taskbar or somewhere onto TC's window or somewhere on the messagebox (1) to make the messagebox receive the input focus, and then you can hit Enter (or F2) to close the messagebox.

---
(1) Obviously, clicking with the mouse onto the messagebox just for then using the keyboard to close it is a bit contrived. But i wanted to list the typical ways of how one would make a window active (the active window normally has the input focus; exceptions not withstanding)
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

I get messagebox when press F4 on a single file and switch from editor to TC before to close it.
I know how to close a ordinary window but precisely with this not work: I change input focus with alt-tab but keyboard does not matter.
This on two different PC.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Unfortunately, i have no idea what is going on there, not even a whiff of a clue. As said in my first post, when pressing F4 on a single file i see entirely different messageboxes/dialogs. Only when i select multiple files and press F4 i get the message box you describe.

UPDATE: I can also see the messabox you see if the editor is already open prior to pressing F4. But i still cannot reproduce the keyboard issue... :(

If you start TC with a fresh INI with default values only, do you still observe the issue?
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

open editor
F4 edit file in packed archive
foreground editor
shift-tab turn to TC
I can't use keyboard on warning.

open editor
F4 edit file in packed archive
foreground editor
close it (or press ALT, LEFT, RETURN, minimize to systray) [window have to close or minimize]
TC warning turn to foreground
I can use keyboard on warning.

I read that other have same problem.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Using Win+Tab to switch from the editor back to TC, i can now reproduce the issue.
(Alt+Tab is not a trigger; it required Win+Tab for me to observe the issue.)

Seems the issue is related to TC opening the modal messagebox in the background without receiving the input focus when it is being created.

Some related observations:

Once you Alt+Tab into the message box (it will receive input focus), you can switch back to the editor and then Win+Tab will also work (i suspect, due to the messagebox having received input focus once before via Alt+Tab.

Other modal dialogs/messageboxes in TC (such as the Help/About dialog or Configuration dialog) don't exhibit this problem. But they are also getting the input focus right away when they are opened.
Last edited by gdpr deleted 6 on 2020-09-17, 07:55 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hurdet
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Hurdet »

Unfortunately, it gives me the problem even with only ALT-TAB.

Bug opened.
I found three bugs in one week.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Hurdet wrote: 2020-09-17, 07:55 UTC I found three bugs in one week.
That is not really unusual if your way of using TC diverges from how the majority of users interact with TC, or the runtime environment (how the OS is configured, what other software is running on the OS that could interact with TC in unforeseen ways). These things happen (from time to time) with many software projects.

Many bugs are discovered by users. But bugs that are not triggered by the typical user behavior can remain undetected until someone comes along who interacts with the software in a different way, or operates it in an unusual environment. And chances are, if this happens, more than one bug will reveal themselves (and often accompanied by a bunch of false flags, where the issue is not with the software per-se)