Select files not present in the other directory

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

UchuuStranger

Select files not present in the other directory

Post by *UchuuStranger »

I have the same issue as the poster of this thread, but the advice given there does not seem to work for me. Shift+F2 does select files in one folder that are not present in the other, but it only works in one direction, and does not seem to depend on which of the two panels is the first, or which of the two panels is active. And it looks like "Synchronize Dirs" option is what I'm looking for, but for whatever reason my version of TotalCommander (9.21a) does not contain it in the "Commands" drop-down menu. The closest thing it has is "Synchronize Directory Change Source And Target", but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Why my version doesn't seem to have "Synchronize Dirs"? And whether it has it or not, how do I compare folder contents in both directions rather than just one?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Select files not present in the other directory

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Shift+F2 only marks files which are NEWER than those in the other panel, or do not exist in the other panel.

Try adding a button or start menu entry (in TC, not Windows) with the following command:
cm_FileSync
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
UchuuStranger

Post by *UchuuStranger »

Yep, that command worked, thank you! And "Synchronize directories" is indeed exactly what I need. The only thing I'm not happy about is the difficulty of viewing file contents (pictures in my case). I have to right-clock -> View left/right on each individual picture in order to view the contents. Is there a way to show previews inside the "Synchronize directories" window? Or a way to export the results into Total Commander proper (either as a selection or similarly to "Feed to listbox" feature of the Search)?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have to right-clock -> View left/right on each individual picture in order to view the contents
You can press F3 (left) of Shift+F3(right) in stead of clicking, but there is currently no way to export the result in a way tah can be used directly for your purpose.

You can press Ctrl+C in the Search result window, but that wil give you lines like:
DEFAULT.BAR 1125 16-01-21 03:56:17 -> 25-03-20 00:00:00 977 DEFAULT.BAR
wich can not be used to load the found files in an ordinary TC panel (as "Feed to listbox" does).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar