TC New DirectShow media player - supported file extensions

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC New DirectShow media player - supported file extensions

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

DrShark wrote: 2021-03-12, 10:50 UTC For example, here on Windows 7 32-bit both VfW and DirectShow based Lister's players play e.g. *.mid files fine, so the question is whether they use the same codecs (but with different API to access them)?
DirectShow's API is based on the COM model. MCI's API doesn't use COM. As such, the ability of the MCI to play a certain format does not prove, and cannot prove the presence of a respective registered DirectShow COM component with the same capability (as that would require a codec with a different public API, as you are already aware of, and something you cannot figure out by asking through MCI however nicely).

Essentially your question cannot be answered generally, hypothetically only for each individual system setup based on some deeper analysis of the behinds and belows of the MCI and DirectShow components found on that individual machine. Or, in practical terms: You won't be able to know that.

Now, you can of course make assumptions of whether the support of some codec through MCI indicates the presence of an equivalent DirectShow codec. But this is essentially an assumption that is no better than just having a default file extension list of popular file types being supported by MCI hard-coded in TC.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

For me there should be separate options for "Define by filetype" settings. I know how to use 4i (as Internal), but I'd like to keep one list for DirectShow and another list for MCI player.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will definitely make this configurable, but what should I use as a default/starting point?
Currently I'm using the MCI extensions plus some hardcoded extensions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

@ghisler(Author)

Provide a pre-filled list with common extensions which are comma-separated, or have one line per extension with a checkbox to en-/disable extensions individually. Perhaps provide a button "Import MCI extensions" so the user can decide whether those entries should be added to the list of supported extensions.
zhxeeaa

Post by *zhxeeaa »

There is a wlx plugin for media player: vlister
It use mpv,can support any multimedia formats
But the author did not publish it widely
this is a share for friends in need,Its configuration is very simple, the author only gave Chinese instructions, please feel free to explore the usage.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EfGKE2kdVxNj7mnaS8QO0jqtMdRmi3Tl/view?usp=sharing
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

This is an interesting alternative for the Multimedia Viewer. Thanks for sharing. I suggest you create a discussion thread in the Plugins and addons section, too, to generate more attention.
zhxeeaa

Post by *zhxeeaa »

I realy want to do this, but unfortunately I am not the author... And I can’t find who the real author is now...So all I can do is sharing it quietly :lol:
Deanel

Post by *Deanel »

zhxeeaa wrote: 2021-04-06, 12:01 UTC And I can’t find who the real author is now...
You have found it :)
beb

Post by *beb »

zhxeeaa wrote: 2021-04-05, 03:59 UTC There is a wlx plugin for media player: vlister
It use(s) mpv...
vlister is available on GitHub (2018 latest):
https://github.com/Rinat84/vlister/releases
required mpv player is available on SourceForge (2024 latest):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/64bit/
note: mpv-v3 versions from there are unsuitable for the plugin
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10